WineBoard
girlfriend woes! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: girlfriend woes! (/thread-17485.html)

- l@ve bird - 11-05-2006

Hi, this is my 1st post here..
well.. me & my girlfriend are going to celebrate our very 1st anniversary soon, i wish to celebrate it with wine.. the problem being my girlfriend has never had alcohol before in her life & she likes to drink something sweet generally..
i want this moment to be special and i don't want her to dislike wine, i myself had wine once and i loved it.. can u please help me with this issue because i am very new to wine... please suggest a sweet wine to start with for her..

thank you

- Innkeeper - 11-05-2006

Hi L@ve bird, and welcome to the Wine Board. Recommend a sparkling wine such as a Spanish Cava. Do not get one that says Brut. That is the dry kind of sparkler. Get one that says Extra Dry. You are going to have to believe me, as the explanation is too long; Extra Dry in a sparkler means off dry or slightly sweet. They are usually as sweet as you would want.

- Drew - 11-05-2006

Rosa Regale and chocolate!!! It has a sweetness that the girls love, is bubbly and a perfect intoducer to wine with romance. You can find it anywhere and it costs between $15 and $20 a bottle which won't break the bank.

Drew

- TheEngineer - 11-05-2006

I second Drew's response as I've seen it myself. Girls who like sweeter wines and are new to it generally love this almost pop like but better drink. It is also easy to find and not very expensive. If you can't find this look for a nice Riesling (look on the label for a "Riesling Spatlese" or "Riesling Auslese". They are sweeter and also very adoptable by females new to wine. Good ones of these run about $25-$35 so we are not looking at the $10 Rieslings (though if you do find a Dr. Loosen "L" or Kesseler "R", these are close to $10 and are very good).

- dananne - 11-05-2006

Third the Rosa Regale rec.

- wdonovan - 11-06-2006

"Third the Rosa Regale rec."

Make it four. This may be as close as a sugarholic gets to the real celebratory bottle of fizz but 1) It bubbles. Chicks always like stuff that bubbles more than stuff that does not. 2) It is 'the perfect match' for chocolate (another sensuous indulgence). No matter what claims are made about pairing different wines with chocolate, most people agree this one truly works.

BTW Was is said girlfriend that made you post under the name L@ve bird? Just curious.

- Innkeeper - 11-06-2006

At least we all agree on a sparkler!

- wondersofwine - 11-06-2006

And to simplify your search for Rosa Regale, it is a Banfi product--also says Brachetto d'Acqui on the label. I noticed in my grocery store the price is now around $20 for a bottle. It used to be $15. Also, it is low in alcohol compared to other wine (about 7% alcohol by volume) so a glass or two is less likely to affect driving ability.