WineBoard
Sweet Wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Sweet Wine (/thread-17430.html)

- Hannah - 09-17-2001

About two years ago, I took a trip to Napa Valley and was able to stop by this wondesrful vineyard where I took home some sweet wines. One was a Riesling and the other a Masquat(?). I think the vineyard's name had a John in it (St. John ???). Please help me find this vineyard, I'd love to have those wines again... I think they were less than $15.00 each.

- Innkeeper - 09-17-2001

Hi Hannah, and welcome to the Wine Board. Would guess that you are talking about Chateau St Jean. They do make a riesling. However, they are located in Sonoma Valley, and do not market a muscat. They might have had one for "tasting room only" when you visited.

- winoweenie - 09-17-2001

Hi there Hannah and welcome to the board. My guess is you stopped by St. Superys' tasting room at the Rutherford crossing on hiway 29. If you can't find their wines in your area try Louis Martinin. He makes a delicious Muscat and Riesling. WW

- Innkeeper - 09-17-2001

Then again, any riesling that does not say "dry" or "troken" on the label will have some degree of sweetness. Any muscat that does not come from Alsace will be sweet. Be adventurous.

- Hannah - 09-17-2001

I live in Hawaii... anyone familiar on what's available here? I'm not good with buying yet but I'll note down those names. Thanks for all your help, I wish I kept one of those bottles... I really like those wines.

- Innkeeper - 09-18-2001

Having lived in Hawaii for five years in the mid 70s, can attest to the fact that there is ample opportunity to get into wine there, particularly California wine. There is a reason for the later. Due to conditions of statehood, commerce between California and Hawaii is not considered interstate commerce. We therefore had an opportunity increase our knowledge about California wine just as the industry there was expanding and improving.

Unless something has changed radically, you should have no problem finding nice wines there now. Find a wine shop in your neighborhood, go in and introduce yourself. If they are unreponsive or rude, leave and find another one. Tell them you are interested in off dry riesling and muscat wines, that you want to spend less than $15, and could they help you. As time goes on, there is no doubt in my former military mind that you will adventure into other things.

- Hannah - 09-19-2001

Thank you for your good advise! I'm glad I found this site, I'm willing to learn on my own and be adventurous - I'm sure it'll be lots of fun......!!!Mahalo and Aloha!

- wondersofwine - 09-19-2001

The island of Maui produces some blush wines (from red-skinned grapes but the juice is removed from the skins after pressing so the wine comes out pinkish rather than red). You might try one of those also as you adventure in the wine world. Blush wines tend to be lighter, less tannic than many red wines.