WineBoard
Cherry Wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Cherry Wine (/thread-17429.html)

- dandy_don - 06-27-2004

Spent the weekend in northern Michigan. Some excellent wine country. Beyond the grapes I had the chance to try a cherry wine.

I was very surprised with how good it was. Like a good cherry pie in a glass. Not overly sweet. Excellent for a drink poolside or with a burger.

What are some thoughts on this variation of "wine"? Should it be called wine? Should I admit to having liked it!!

- wondersofwine - 06-28-2004

Purists might refer to it as fermented fruit beverage. However, in a Chinese restaurant you may see Plum Wine on the menu, etc.
Sure, admit to it if you liked it. I like plum "wine" and have enjoyed strawberry "wine" in Germany. Several regualar contributors to this forum enjoyed blackberry "wine" fortified with grape brandy at a recent offline get together.

- Logaire - 06-29-2004

I am very new to wines and my fiancee is coming out to spend the 4th of July weekend with me so I want to get something special for her. She does like Cherry flavored drinks of other sorts so I think this might be something to try. Any names I can look for?

- californiagirl - 06-29-2004

Welcome to the board!

It might help others to name specifics for you if we knew what state you're from. Some states are limited to accessibility.

- Logaire - 06-30-2004

Well I'm actually from Indiana but I'm in Maryland for the rest of the summer.

- Innkeeper - 06-30-2004

Many Eastern U.S. wineries dabble with fruit wines. When in Maryland go to the local wine section of a large liquor store and look, or just ask the prop.

- buttonlady - 06-30-2004

does anyone know where I can purchase Cahrles Shaw wine in Anchorage Alaska?

- californiagirl - 06-30-2004

Sold exclusively by Trader Joe's. I believe they have a web site to find the closest one nearest you. I don't think that they ship out, but it can never hurt to ask.

- Logaire - 06-30-2004

I know a store with a fairly large selection nearby. I'll stop by there after work tomorrow, thanks everybody.

- dananne - 06-30-2004

Just my .02, but I wouldn't bother with trying to order Charles Shaw over the web. I've heard it's just fine, but when you add in the shipping costs, you're looking at paying more like $7 per bottle, rather than $2. At that price point, I just think you can do better. Visit a good local shop and have them steer you to a few less expensive bottles in the Spanish section. You can do very well for well under $10. Just MHO.

- californiagirl - 06-30-2004

I agree. Much better for just a few dollars more.

Personally, I won't drink the stuff and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. But, since everyone's tastes are different, drink what you enjoy.

- buttonlady - 07-01-2004

Thanks everyone for your input. I am really wanting to try this charlie shaw wine badly. I guess that may sound a little crazy, however I have heard such wonderful things about it.

- Innkeeper - 07-01-2004

You didn't hear it here. The reason why we all don't run out and buy it by the case is that there is HUGE bottle variation. The makers, Bronco Wines, buy up all the surplus wine they can find and bottle it. So each batch can come from hundreds of miles apart. You may get an pretty good bottle, but the next one may be plonk.

- buttonlady - 07-01-2004

Thank you for your point on that IK. It is a very valid point. I agree, and I don't believe I'll be ordering by the case. I'm glad you brought that to my attention. I'm sure that I would be very displeased if I bought a case, and only every other bottle was fit for consumption.lol. Thanks again.