WineBoard
Good Cabernet - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Good Cabernet (/thread-17428.html)

- Silly Rabbit - 12-15-2000

I am very new to the wine world. I was wondering, though, if I could get some picks from the more experienced connoisseurs here.

What would you suggest as a good Cabernet, meant to be consumed young (3 years or so) that is at most $20 per bottle. I prefer wines that are a bit fuller and less dry; easy on the tannins.

I suppose I am more interested in specific winemakers that churn out consistently good wines as opposed to a specific batch of wines. I find, for example, Beaulieu Vineyard as a consistently good winemaker and tend towards that label quite often.

- Innkeeper - 12-15-2000

Hi Silly, and welcome to the Wine Board. There are myriads of great approachable Cabernets available in your price range. We just returned from a trip the the Central Coast, not exactly Cabernet country. We did bring one back, 1997 EOS, Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles. Also enjoyed another on the road, 1998 Chateau Julien, Cabernet Sauvignon, Monterey. Both were delicious and approachable. A good New York wine store such as Garnet's on Lex should either have one of these or be able to make a sound recommendation for something else.

- winoweenie - 12-15-2000

Hi ther S.R. , and welcome to the baoard. You`re not as silly as some of the dumb bunnies I`ve met as you seem to have latched on to one of my perennial favorite wineries. Their Rutherford, Mondavi`s " Napa " Heitz Napa, Whitehall Lane Napa, Flora Srings Estate, Ch. Montelena Caistoga Cuvee plus lots of other of the standard bottlings are marvelous wines. I`m going to review A 94 Montelena Cuvee I had last nite from the 94 vintage that was spectacular. Try, Taste, Open, Experiment, and most of all catalogue. In no time at all you`ll have a hit list you can`t support like the rest of us. winoweenie

- raggedy1 - 12-15-2000

What do you guys think about Gallo Sonoma? I know people are turned off by the Gallo name, but I've found their wines to be very consistent in quality year to year and they have a good QPR. For Cabs, their Frei Ranch and Barelli Creek wines are pretty good...

- Thomas - 12-15-2000

Be aware, Silly, that Cabernet Sauvignon is also produced outside of California; France, Chile and Argentina come to mind.

- winoweenie - 12-16-2000

Silly, Raggitys` suggestions from the Gallo group is super. They, Like Beaulieu,Mondavi,Flora etc. produce wonderful P/Q wines year after year. I love their Frei, Barilli,and Stefani vineyard bottlings.Try-em, you`ll like-em...Mikey Did! winoweenie

- Bucko - 12-16-2000

WW, you're slipping, son. I was sure that you would take advantage of the note to mention Rabbit Ridge for SillyRabbit.

Bucko

- raggedy1 - 12-16-2000

WW, thanks for the affirmation. Just a note: I tried the 97 BV Rutherford and was very underwhelmed. Have you guys tried this one yet? I thought it was "flat." Not much fruit to go with little tannin and a short finish. I figured it wasn't worth the $14 bucks...

- Silly Rabbit - 12-18-2000

Hey all. Thanks for all the help. I guess it's time to go wine shopping...