WineBoard
How do you store a port? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: How do you store a port? (/thread-17417.html)

- lizardbrains - 05-15-2004

I have a nice port that I've opened. Of course I can't finish it in 1-2 days, so I'm wondering how I'm supposed to store it in order to keep its freshness. Any advice is welcome.

Oh, and should it be decanted?

Thanks,
Elizabeth

[This message has been edited by lizardbrains (edited 05-15-2004).]

- chittychattykathy - 05-15-2004

Reprinted from years ago...
Depends on the port!
Tawny; with indication of age, around 45 days.(They're used to breathing)
Young Ruby; one or two weeks.
Ruby; 1985+ three or four days (85 to 55 two days).
Ruby; 1955- One day (they start to experience airshock the moment you open them).
White; one or two weeks, in the fridge.
(I do not fridge the other styles!)

Tell us more about the port you have right now if you need more info.
CCK

- californiagirl - 05-15-2004

CCK- read that before somewhere. Did you post it before?

I do hope that next year's retreat is near you in Washington! (Closer to home... hard to get away for an extended period of time with two young boys.) FYI- interesting voicemail from WW and KC, (my dad) this afternoon. Sounds like they were having a ball!

By the way, I enjoy the knowledge that you share. I would also enjoy reading your book, when it surfaces. Can't wait for the day to get my feet wet in the wine industry. I went on a wine tasting with my mother in law and aunt in law(?) for my b-day, and got offered a job working in a tasting room in Amador. Unfortunatelty, I had to decline due to my little ones and my husband's work schedule. So, I fill the little "spare" time I have researching and reading until the day....

- chittychattykathy - 05-16-2004

CG,
Trust me I know how it is getting that “extended” time away from home! This should change soon for me with the move. Not being tied to my (old) job has already brought a freedom I embrace each day. As far as the next gathering goes, I am hoping that people from this board will want to come to Washington Wine Country during/near harvest this year. I've plenty of access to vineyards and wineries plus several places to for us to gather. (Skeet optional!)
I will be throwing a harvest party for friends regardless, so let me know if you are interested in coming up. (Great place to “get your feet wet.”) Can bring the family along, harvest time is fun for kiddio’s too.

As for my knowledge, Thanks!
Listening/working with literally hundreds of people in all aspects of the wine industry over the last seven years has built quite a “bank” of knowledge for me to share-- and I do try to keep it going around!

In addition, yes, I did post that port info a few years ago. And yes, I did give myself permission to reprint it, so it is okay…
[img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

BTW- Hey, where were my voicemails guys?! J

- californiagirl - 05-16-2004

CCK- Sounds great! Let us know approx time frame... I will know my husband's next shift schedule in July. We were planning a getaway in Octoberish... is the timing right? Don't know about anyone else's schedule. Maybe I would even be able to make it sans kids!! (Now isn't that a dream!)

Maybe it's a little bold, but there are a couple good wineries in my area Placerville and Amador/Jackson way. Maybe a retreat next year or so... I couldn't really host much at my house, but this area is quite the happenin' place. Some great restaurants to boot.

Possibilities are endless... the glass is always half full.

- chittychattykathy - 05-16-2004

Early October might still work, will have a better feel for it in a few months.
Yes, there are lots of places to "get together" I'd be happy just meeting in WW's cellar for a day or two!

- californiagirl - 05-16-2004

So much wine, so little time! I'm very curious to discuss wine cellars with everyone here... to have a flight of '94 cabs! I guess I'm still green to the wine scene... I only have a 42 bottle wine cooler. Not much storage in that. Dad got me hooked a couple years back, and then I got pregnant and skipped a year. Ever since then, he comes around with stuff from wineries I've never had b/4 and gets me hooked all over again. (Still haven't found a cab I like better than Lewelling...)

Anyways... thanks again!

- lizardbrains - 05-18-2004

The port wine is from South Coast Winery - a new winery in Temecula, of which I'm a wine club member. So, this was a part of the spring shipment; the port is called Blackjack - it's a new one they've just come out with. Apparently it's a $34 bottle. I'm not a port-lover, so if it's just going to go bad in a few days/weeks, I might as well give it to a friend who may appreciate it more. But if I can store it for a few months, then I would consider keeping it.

I opened it, tried it, and don't think I could drink more than 1-2 oz. every week or so.

-Elizabeth

- Georgie - 05-18-2004

May I be your friend? [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- chittychattykathy - 05-18-2004

Give it away...

- Georgie - 05-18-2004

to moi!

- californiagirl - 05-18-2004

How about cooking with it? Try grilling up a pork tenderloin with a port wine reduction sauce, roasted red baby potatoes with butter and chopped parsley and asparagus sounds great!

- winoweenie - 05-18-2004

LB, as has been posted meeny times 'afore tis hard storing any wine after opening past a few days. You drink about what I spill so kaint quite relate to 1-2 ozs per. The one way you might be able to cheat the ole vinegar- man is to buy a can of "Private Preserve ", get two 375 bottles , split your 750 in half, give each unit a dose and FREEZE one of the bottles. Drink the other as quickly as possible. Thaw the other when you need another fix and repeat. Have found freezing is not that detrimental to the taste. WW

- vinman - 05-20-2004

Such fun!
Taylor Flodgate recommends 2-3 weeks in moderate storage. Do you think any of us would ever doubt? Probably more like a month if you can hold out!