WineBoard
I've got too much time on my hands - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I've got too much time on my hands (/thread-17404.html)

- barnesy - 02-12-2001

I was pondering this one....

If part of the aging process of wine is the slow seepage of air into the bottle through the cork, and some wineries place a wax cap over the cork for decoration. Now, they used to use huge gobs of wax for sealing bottles. Would this little decorative wax seal slow the normal aging process? (assuming all other values are ideal)

Hey, like the title says....

Barnesy

- Innkeeper - 02-12-2001

Oxidation is a negative aspect of aging. It is what eventually ruins wine. Am not sure why some producers use those gobs of wax. It is possible that they are trying to slow down oxidation, but think it more likely that it is just decoration.

Tannin is the key to aging. Here is how Andrea Immer (Great Wine Made Simple) sums up the subject: "In everyday buying and drinking situations, this (aging) is not a factor, because most wines are rightly bought and consumed young. But some classic wine types, known for their very high tannin, can be allowed to age to reduce the harshness of the tannins. What happens during the aging process is that the tannins soften and integrate with the rest of the wine's components, making for a smoother, more balanced, and enjoyable drinking experiance than when the tannins were so prominent in the wine's youth."

Note that she doesn't mention oxygen as being part of this process.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 02-12-2001).]

- winoweenie - 02-12-2001

Keep the Faith Barnsey, the snowplows'll have you outta' there before spring. Most vintners I've posed the question have said basically," Corks are meant to keep air OUT of the bottle. The small amount that's in the neck is sufficient to help the aging process. Yhw wax capsule is just a guarantee that the seal stays tight. Tannins, acid,PH and fruit all combine to determine a wines ageability " I mite add that storage is paramount despite Hotsies' complete abberations. WW

- Thomas - 02-12-2001

Hey Barnsey, these guys is all correct. But I take issue with one Andrea Immer; she shoulda mentioned oxygen in that passage; oxygen is in that there bottle (and it seeps in over time) and that air reacts with the tannins and all that other stuff that ww mentioned. Tannins do not mysteriously migrate like illegal immigrants without assistance.

- barnesy - 02-12-2001

I got my initial information from The Global Encyclopedia of Wine, which contains an article by Steve Charters, MW.

"a small amount (oxygen) passes by the cork, and helps to catalyze the mcessary aging process in the bottle."

"However, it (aging) can best be summarized as a slow oxidation."

There is also a discussion on plastic corks saying the long term aging affect are unknown because the plastic fully cuts off that miniscule seepage of oxygen. Thats where I got my wax seal question.

Barnesy