WineBoard
Semillon Chardonays - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Semillon Chardonays (/thread-17349.html)

- faa13 - 03-21-1999

I have always had an affinity for Savignon Blancs but lately they have been causing me bouts of acid indegestion. This can happen as quickly as 2 glasses. I have tried a couple of Semillon Chardonnays, Columbia Crest and Banrock Station which we very easy to drink and did not have the same effects. Any suggestions to other whites and even reds that might be easier on the stomach. I usually buy wines in the 7-13 dollar price range and enjoy a couple of glasses before dinner.

- Jerry D Mead - 03-21-1999

A wines total acidity and pH can vary as much by region and winemaker as it can by variety. Sauvignon Blanc is a variety that is noted for very crisp acidity.

Chardonnays and Semillons (and even Sauvignon Blancs) which have been barrel-fermented and often have undergone malo-lactic fermentation (conversion of crisp malic acid to softer lactic acid) will generally be a little softer in acidity. Wines labeled Reserve often have undergone these techniques, though you might have to spend a few more dollars.

JDM

- Randy Caparoso - 03-22-1999

Ditto. But you know, you are already on the right track. For a great value, have you looked into the Hunter Valley/Australian Semillon-Chardonnay made by Rosemount? Beautifully soft, round, viscous texture, and tropical fruit tones under a light veil of smoky oak -- all for under $8. For just a little more but exceptional in quality, the Geyser Peak Semchard (made mostly from the silky smooth, figgy, tobacco-ish Semillon) is also a good bet.

But here's another factor: Since your metabolism is obviously changing, you need to start nibbling on a little something while you sip. It won't hurt to have some palate-stimulating tidbits. That's why they call them appetizers. But I bet you can still enjoy a good Sauvignon Blanc if you do.

I also suspect that alcohol has as much to do with the burning sensation as acidity. You might also want to go to some lighter style Sauvignon Blancs -- like a Cheverny, Sancerre, or (if you can find one) Quincy from France; which although pure in varietal makeup, all tend to have alcohol levels closer to 11% than the normal 12%-13% found in California Sauvignon Blancs. California, however, is not a hopeless cause; Frog's Leap in Napa Valley, and Murphy-Goode in Alexander Valley, are both known for their lighter, easier styles (although Murphy-Goode also makes a fuller, round and toasty-oaked "Fume Reserve").

Finally, you might consider other light, moderately weighted white wines. I imagine that you might not like Chardonnays that much. I would suggest that you explore Pinot Blancs from California, Oregon or Alsace, which can have the richness of pear/melony fruit similar to Chards and SBs, but which are nowhere near as heavy as Chards, and not as acidic as SBs. Another good varietal to explore is Pinot Gris, which is somewhere between Chard and SB in crispness/acidity, and usually a little lighter than SB. Oregon makes some wonderfully flavorful and easy Pinot Gris; and Italian styles (i.e. Pinot Grigio) are getting better, and even more serious, than ever.

Hope this helps!

- Bucko - 03-22-1999

For a brief medical explanation, alcohol decreases the pressure/tone of the LES (lower esophageal sphincter) that keeps food and liquid from refluxing back up into the esophagus. Many people suffer from this, techically known as GERD (GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease). The best thing for this is an H2 blocker e.g. Pepsid, Zantac, or Tagamet. More refractory cases need a proton pump inhibitor e.g. Prilosec or Prevacid. See your local Family Doc.

Things that you can do for yourself are to decrease caffeine intake, fats and mint, all which increase GERD.

I periodically take Prilosec, especially before a tasting or judging.

BuckQuack

- Randy Caparoso - 03-23-1999

Thanks, doc. But with the Prilosecec, what type of wine do you recommend?

- Bucko - 03-23-1999

Prilosec is purple, therefore you would want a young Zin so that the colors do not clash..... }:>

Bucko