WineBoard
Diablo Zinfandel - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Diablo Zinfandel (/thread-17318.html)

- arothafel - 02-19-2006

This is my first time to the board, so I hope this is not a repeat...

I was recently contacted by a wine broker who talked me into purchasing 6 bottles of 2002 Diablo (of Santa Rosa, Sonoma County, CA) Zinfandel at $40 per bottle. I was not impressed. Has anyone else even heard of this wine or have an opinion? I can't even find the winery "Diablo Winery Santa Rosa" through Google!

Thanks in advance for any insight,
Art

- Kcwhippet - 02-19-2006

Welcome to the Board, arothafel. I have never heard of this winery. I've been in the business for a number of years, and I've heard of some wineries very few others have heard of, but not this one. If you don't mind, would you please tell us the wine broker's company name. I would think that if they are at all reputable, they would take back the remaining bottles at no charge to you, and return the rest of your money. BTW, there aren't too many Zins going for that high a price, but I'm sure most if not all are well known to the experts on this Board. I certainly don't know all the wines out there, but those I'm not aware of are easy to find. This one isn't which makes me suspicious.

- arothafel - 02-19-2006

Thanks for the quick reply... and I, too, am mystified. The broker is Montesquieu .... website is:

www.montesquieu.com and www.thespiritofwine.com

They cold called me out of the blue. Are they reputable? I don't know.

The wine itself has absolutely no body or any of the familiar traits of a good Zin. The broker tells me they only made 300 cases of this wine and that it is soooooo special. I don't think so.

On my initial call to return the wine, the broker urged me to try another bottle (at their expense) and that if I still didn't like it... they would authorize the return/refund.

I've been suspicious since the first taste.

Thanks for your expert help.

Art

- AzWino - 02-20-2006

It seems to me that a broker was here in the BB in just the past week or two talking about her company. Seems to me that either the Innkeeper or winoweenie let her have it, because some of the info she gave was incorrect. They may have deleted her comments because now I can't seem to find them.

Any how you should also contact the Better Business Bureu and the local Chamber of Commerce in the area that they are located in.

Also I have found that the moderators and members of this board are very knowledgable and are willing to get right back to you on your questions.

Good Luck with your dilema.

Good Drinking Good Luck and Cheers

AzWino

- Kcwhippet - 02-20-2006

Ah yes, Montesquieu. We know them well, Art. They used to go by the name Jakob Gerhardt, then they apparently bought a French winemaking chateau (Montesquieu), not known for particularly great wines. I guess Jakob Gerhardt was getting a fairly bad reputation because of the shady tactics of the brokers, as well as some of the business practices of the company. I've read, and heard, numerous tales like yours of people pressured into buying wines at much higher prices than the wines are worth, usually. The wines aren't always as advertised, and the folks have had problems dealing with Gerhardt, now Montesquieu, to rectify the situation. Everytime this comes up here, or on other boards, there's a rash of postings from one time posters with profile addresses all over the country. All of them religiously defend Montesquieu like they're some sort of brainwashed cult followers, but the language of all the posts is almost identical, as if they got some type of prepared script from the company and altered it just slightly to sound original. Now, there are some companies out there who sell by brokers that are entirely reputable, I've bought from some myself, but I really don't believe that Montesquieu is one of them. Send the wine back and get your money returned.

- arothafel - 02-20-2006

Thanks for all your help -- AzWino and Kcwhippet -- in shedding some light on my situation.

I will be calling for a return authorization today. If it gets ugly, the battle will only heat up!!!

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your help, experience and knowledge. Great board.

Art

- winoweenie - 02-20-2006

Hi Aro and a belated welcome to the board. As said MEEEENNNYY times on this board wine IMHO is not a blind mail-order product. Find yourself a reputable dealor locally who will advise you and help you establish your wine preferences. 40 bucks!!!! Goodness gracious you can buy Ridge Geyserville for 10 bucks less and have one of the finest Zins available in the world. WW

- Kcwhippet - 02-20-2006

AZWino - Here's the discussion I think you were referring to.

www.wines.com/ubb2/Forum8/HTML/000285.html

- arothafel - 02-20-2006

Here's an update:

They are sending me return tags for the entire six bottles and have agreed to refund /credit back my card. Of course I'll be checking my online bank account the day after it's picked up! So far... so good.

Thanks to all of you who've been so helpful. I guess I learned my lesson.

Art

- AzWino - 02-21-2006

Thanks KC,

That was the one I was looking for. I hope
aro read it also.

That's why i read the board daily, to keep myself updated and in the know.

Again thanks to all the moderators and knowlegable people on this board for keeping us educated.

Cheers

AzWino

- brappy - 02-22-2006

I don't know if they still try this tactic but....."The grapes are from right across the street from (insert name like Opus, Dominus, etc) and this wine is half the price........

No Thanks