WineBoard
Suggestions wanted for whites. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Suggestions wanted for whites. (/thread-17317.html)

- MuddyOne - 09-12-2002

I have just recently started drinking wines, and have decided to expand my horizons. Of white wines that I have enjoyed, they have been fairly sweet. Others seem to taste pretty much like acid to me, the acid seems to overwelm my taste buds. Alder Brooks 2000 Chardonnay was the last one that I did not enjoy.

I would like to try one that has a balanced flavor if they exist. An example of a wine that tastes balanced to me would be Marietta Cellers 1999 Zinfandel. Is this considered a balanced taste to others?

- toddabod - 09-12-2002

A German Reisling is very nice to drink. Make sure it is a halb trocken reisling. If you get a trocken one, it is dry, and if you get a lieblich or suss, it will taste like grape juice.

- Innkeeper - 09-12-2002

If you don't like acid, you should stick with chardonnay. Perhaps the thing you didn't like about the Alder Brook was the oak. This is a feature of most chardonnay than many of us abhor. Look for unwooded (unoaked) chardonnay from Australia and New Zealand. Also look for Maconnais from France including Macon Lugny, Macon Village, and St Veran. The easiest of all of these to find is the Macon Lugny called "Les Charmes." Notice that American Chardonnay is not mentioned. This is because finding no or low oak domestic chardonnay is difficult though not impossible. Can't think of any that are readily available off the top of my head.

- hotwine - 09-12-2002

Muddy, your options for whites are really defined by your budget. If you want to keep the price as low as possible, look for Schmit-Sohn Mosel-Sahr-Ruwer Riesling, all of about $4 at Sam's. A French white Bordeaux, a Sauvignon Blanc from Michel Lynch, can be had for only a couple of bucks more per bottle from many retalers. Or if you're willing to spend about $18, try a Sancerre, which is a French Sauvignon Blanc; we especially like the Domaine de la Rossignole. Also, Italian whites are very attractive, especially with Italian-style seafood; there we like the Tommasi Pinot Grigio at $8.50-$12, depending on retailer. All of those are very well-balanced wines, and very versatile. We keep a good supply of all of them on hand.

- MuddyOne - 09-13-2002

Thanks for the suggestions. I picked up a bottle of Aussie Chardonney last night, but was too late to chill it. I will be going to a wine store tonight to pick up some of the other suggestions.

I had a McGuigan Brother's Merlot with a steak dinner at Outback that I enjoyed. I also enjoyed Pine Ridge 2001 Chenin Blanc-Viognier that I already had chilled once I got home.

I guess I should have put into the original request what my price range is. Since I am primarily tryin gto figure out my likes and dislikes, I currently purchase in the $0-$20 range.

- wondersofwine - 09-23-2002

In that price range you might also try Vouvray (white wine from the Loire region of France) and for reds, a Beajolais Village.
(I forgot to mention that the Vouvray wines are from the Chenin Blanc grape which you have already enjoyed in a California blended white wine.)

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 09-23-2002).]

- milchopcapt - 09-25-2002

There are some nice suggestions on this thread. I remember when I was first getting into wine I was very big into New Zeland Sauv. Blanc's and some Calf. Sauv. Blancs as well. Blockheadia and Frog's Leap were always favs of mine, but they tend to be alittle over that $20 range at some stores.

- Innkeeper - 09-25-2002

Hi Milchopcapt, and welcome to the Wine Board. Am not a big consumer of White Zinfandel. Probably don't drink more than a bottle a year, and that's usually left over from Thanksgiving by a non red wine drinking daughter. And even then it's a Buehler Napa Valley.

However, the fact remains that hundreds of thousands, if not millions of Americans have made the transition from soda pop (or tonic as we say in New England) to wine by the White Zinfandel route. So, even though it is not our favorite wine, we recognize its value as a transitional beverage.

- ponycorn - 10-04-2002

Perhaps a dry savingnon blac? I don't know, does that have acid? I don't like the butteriness of Chard, and the steeliness. Maybe that's what got you. That's just how Chardonay is. How about Semillion?