WineBoard
Newbie to Merlot - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Newbie to Merlot (/thread-17295.html)

- Oregonia - 12-10-2001

My husband and I were given a bottle of Markham Vineyard's Merlot 1999. I've never tried Merlot before and had some last night. Is this a nice bottle? Are there any suggestions on Merlot? What temp should I serve this at?
Thanks again guys!

- winoweenie - 12-11-2001

This is one of the better Napa merlot and Cab producers. I try to serve most all of my red wines in the 65* range. Warmer and it seems to accentuate the alcohol and cooler it masks the wines flavors.WW

- Thomas - 12-11-2001

Oregonia, I am concerned. You say that you had the wine "last night" and then you asked us if it is a nice bottle.

Did you like the wine? If so, then it is a nice bottle.

Serve red wine, in general, between 60 and 65 degrees F. The lighter Beaujolais, et al, can take a little chill.

- Innkeeper - 12-11-2001

WW is right, your friend gave you what I consider a rarity, a decent American varietal merlot. The same goes for those from Oz. Chilean ones are fine if you like the flavor of green peppers in your wine. Some people do, but I don't like the flavor even in green peppers. Merlot is very widely planted, but only grows consistently well (more than one isolated producer) in a few places. There is Pomerol and St Emilion on the east side of the river in Bordeaux. Then there is Collio, the most far northeastern part of Italy, smack up against the Slovenian border.

So why do so many other people produce merlot? Well a few decades ago most Americans drank white wine. Chardonnay was king. Then 60 Minutes ran a segment one Sunday night called "The French Paradox." The gist of it was that the French lived longer because they drank red wine. So people ran out and bought red wine. Most of what was readily available was cabernet sauvignon. They found that cabs were complex, a bit harsh when young, and not at all like the one dimensional oaky chardonnay they were used to. Then someone came along with a one dimensional, oaky, approachable wine called merlot, and the race was on.

You can only add dimensions to a wine in a limited number of ways. You can add different ingredients, e.g. oak. Older vines and special terroir add dimensions. Then, you can blend it with the juice from other grapes. If oak does it for you, grab any merlot you see on the shelf. The only consistently high quality varietal merlot region I have found is Collio. Blended merlot comes from many places including Bordeaux. On the west bank they blend it into cabernet. On the east bank they blend cabernet franc and cabernet sauvignon into it. Cabernet-merlot blends are found in America (California, Northwest, and elsewhere), Chile, and Australia. Of course the folks from Oz will blend anything with anything so they also produce merlot-shiraz blends, as well as merlot-shiraz-cabernet blends. Most of these blends almost always outshine varietal merlot from the same producers and/or regions.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 12-11-2001).]

- Oregonia - 12-11-2001

The reason I asked about this wine, is because I need a reference point. I just wanted to know what to expect since I am so new to wine.
I am pleased to know that this wine is thought to be a good choice. I enjoyed it, but we didn't quite chill it properly, so I am going to have some more tonight at the proper temp and see what I think of it.
The friend that gave it too us is very fond of wine and has been taking tours of Napa Valley's wineries every year for the last 3 years. He and his wife brought this one back to us after his last trip.
Thanks for the suggestions! I am really going to enjoy learning about all this... though it will probably take forever!

- Scoop - 12-11-2001

Well said IK. Washington state and the North Fork in Long Island have some good Merlot moments, too, but Merlot is almost always better in a blend, as you say.

Sorry I missed you in NY and hope the Mrs. is feeling better.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Oregonia - 12-27-2001

I recently found a Merlot/Cab blend... Before I buy, what should I expect of these blends? Is there a better region to look for? What other blends are worth my consideration? I really like fruity wines... or ones that have a nice flavor.(I know this is vague... sorry). I have also seen some wines from South America and other places that I did not realize made wine... any ideas on these? Should I give 'em a try?
Thanks once again guys!! I'm learning!!

- wondersofwine - 12-27-2001

I can't answer your question on blended wines--I'm still experimenting with them myself--mostly red wine blends from Australia. Mostly I drink straight varietals. As for "fruity" and flavorful red wines, you might try a 1998 or 1999 Beaujolais wine from a named cru such as Fleurie, Julienas, Morgon, or Moulin a Vent. The cru name will appear on the label but the Beaujolais appellation will not. Ask a wine dealer for suggestions. Also, you might see if your local wine merchant carries Sancerre wines (from the Loire region of France). These tend to have a lot of fruit presence in whites, rose' or red (rouge). Let us know if you find other wines to your liking and that will give us an idea of your preference in wines.

- Innkeeper - 12-27-2001

You have to keep in mind that all Bordeaux wines are blends, both red and white. New world blends are more popular in Oz and Chile than in the U.S. American blends tend to be the more expensive Meritage blends.

With rare exception, I prefer merlot in blends better than straight or varietal. Australia does a better job than Chile, but if you are going the Chilian route the blends are better than both merlot and cabernet sauvignon straight; most of the time.

- Drew - 12-28-2001

Oregonia, try a bottle of Cline 1999 Zinfandel at about $10. It should be easy to find and is a very lush and soft red zin (the true zin!). Post your notes after and tell us if this varietal satisfies your "fruity tooth".

Drew

- wineinitiate - 01-02-2002

Sorry for the ignorant question: but, from what I gather, there are Merlot/Cab combinations (mixtures) out there? What are they called?

- Innkeeper - 01-02-2002

Just about all Bordeaux red is a blend of cabernet sauvignon, merlot, and others including cabernet franc, and petite verdot. In California they like to call pricy Bordeaux blends Meritage. Others there as well as those in the Northwest, New York, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and other places; simply state the blend on the label.