WineBoard
imported wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: imported wines (/thread-17279.html)

- jujugrape - 03-25-2005

I am a definite novice but noticed that recently on travel to both Northern Italy and Spain the wines I consumed, both white and red, and not expensive, were wonderful. I find that my experience drinking wine in the states has not been as enjoyable.

I was wondering if this is due to the nitrates that are added to the wines we get in America or what the difference is that they were all so much more delicious when drinking them in their country of origin.

- Innkeeper - 03-25-2005

Hi Juju, and welcome to the Wine Board. It is not the nitrates. These occur in all wine. It is more a New World/Old World thing. People who have been drinking wine for a long time, such as moi, can appreciate wines from both worlds, but most novices stick with one world or the other for awhile.

You can buy inexpensive Old World wine in the States, particularly in New York. Look for values from Italy (especially the Central and Southern part), Spain, Portugal, and the South of France. We have been finding value after value of delicious wine from Southtern France recently. Check out the Italian, Spain/Portugal/and Rhone/South of France threads of the board for ideas. Go back a year on each thread for a wealth of information on these wine.

Once you've gained more experience, give the New World a shot again.

- Kcwhippet - 03-25-2005

Welcome to the Wine Board, juju. First of all, there are no nitrates added to wine in America, or anywhere else, ever. What is added are sulfites in varying amounts depending on the wine type and the winery. Sulfites are what keep the wine from oxidizing quickly and what helps prevent microbial action. There are wines you can buy with "No Sulfites Added", but these don't have the anti-spoilage benefits of sulfites and must be drunk young before they spoil. However, generally there are no more or less sulfites added here than anywhere else. What may have happened is that the wine you were drinking in Italy and Spain was local wine and you were into the ambiance of the whole thing, and that can ake the wine taste a bit better. Also, when you buy the same wine here as you tried there, you have to know that those wines spent many weeks in a refrigerated container on a truck, then a ship, then another truck getting jostled around. It's worse if the refrigeration units aren't working properly. I'd say though that the main reason they were better there is the whole romance of the experience.

- Thomas - 03-25-2005

KC is right on, and to what he posted I add, the wines you tasted likely paired with the local food too--always a better experience.

Nitrates? From where did you get that information?

- Innkeeper - 03-25-2005

Have to admit I was thinking of sulfits when I wrote nitrates. Sorry.

- wineguruchgo - 03-25-2005

Hi Juju!

I just want to add something about Old World and New World that Innkeeper touched upon.

What is meant by that is the style of wine. Typically the "Old World" countries that he named are famous for an "earthy" quality that you will not find out of the USA, Australia and some Chilean. The "Old World" wines generally need to be consummed with food and go much better with food than the "New World".

"New World" wines, however, are much easier to handle without food. If you are having a party with light appetizers and not a lot of food I would definately buy the "New World" wines for they are much fruiter (not sweet ~ fruiter). If you are going to have a sit down dinner I would go "Old World". Does that make sense?

Of course there are exceptions to every rule...like BBQ goes great with Champagne or Zinfandel.

Most people from the US generally gravitate towards the "New World" wines initally so good for you for understanding and appreciating the "Old World".

Me? I like them all!