WineBoard
German Reisling - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: German Reisling (/thread-17272.html)

Pages: 1 2

- hotwine - 09-23-2002

Sounds mighty nice, Wow. Agree on the Franken - never really developed a taste for it. Will you be driving to D.C., or will you have to lug that case onto an airplane?

- wondersofwine - 09-23-2002

Will be driving. I can bring in the equivalent of about 27 bottles per trip without breaking North Carolina law. Only managed to bring four bottles back with me from California on the plane.

- hotwine - 09-23-2002

Good that you're driving. Carrying wine on a plane can be a real pain. I flew back from Europe once with four bottles in my briefcase and 15 rolled up in dirty laundry in a checked suitcase, but wouldn't want to do that again. But I would probably have a tough time holding to the 27 bottle N.C. limit if driving.

- Innkeeper - 09-24-2002

On my last trip to California had more trouble getting an empty shipping container TO California, than getting the full one back. "What do you mean, there's nothing in there but styrofoam?"

- wondersofwine - 09-24-2002

On my trip out to California I was pulled out of line for survey of suitcases (had to unlock, they took every item out and repacked), pulled out of line for survey of carry-on (both at Raliegh-Durham Airport)complete with shoe removal, and
pulled out of line again at Phoenix Airport for check of carry-on--two flights, three checks of my luggage. The irony was that I am a Government employee with a secret clearance and was traveling on Government travel orders. On the flight back, no special "treatment."

- joeyz6 - 10-10-2002

Whoa, I just read this tidbit of info (must have missed it the first go-round) ... Hotwine, you used to live in Wiesbaden?!! My dad lived there for two years when he was a kid! I assume you were in the air force? My grandpa was stationed there after WWII. I visited the town a couple of years ago and went to see where my dad lived and all that ... it's a lovely place. When was the last time you were there?

- hotwine - 10-10-2002

I lived in Wiesbaden for two years, late '73 to late '75, as a civilian employee of the Air Force. My office then moved to Vaihingen-Stuttgart, where I finished out my three-year assignment. That was some really sweet duty, especially for an old Army vet of 'Nam. Travelled all over the flippin' place at govt expense, enjoying wonderful food and wine everywhere I went. Yee-haa!

- wondersofwine - 10-10-2002

Jawohl, not a bad duty assignment at all, especially as a civilian. I spent time in Mannheim, Darmstadt, Wurzburg, Heidelberg, Giessen, Karlsruhe and Nuernberg area. One of the highlights when I lived in Darmstadt was meeting a German Army officer on the train and being invited to a Fasching party at his fencing club (University of Heidelberg) across the river from the Heidelberger Schloss (castle). Only two North Americans at the party (and one South American). Also on my first duty tour in Germany when the dollar was stronger against the German Mark, I traveled all over Europe. Took a delayed port call (airport actually) on my return to U.S. and traveled for six weeks on a Eurail Pass including Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Austria and Germany. Made friends in Portugal, Spain and Greece and Italy.

- hotwine - 10-10-2002

Wunderbar! I hit most of those same places. Most memorable character was a German naval captain who had been in UDT in WWII. Told me all about his surrender at war's end, time in a Missouri POW camp, and taking up residence in St Lou after the war, only to be summoned home in '57 to resume his service. Fascinatin' gent! He was then working for German Naval Intelligence. We polished off many a bottle of German and French juice, swappin' lies, etc. Got to meet both his wife and his mistress.

I wouldn't trade that time in Europe for anything in the world! Got to visit every NATO country (of the 16 total at that time) except Turkey and Iceland.