WineBoard
12 wines from around the world - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: 12 wines from around the world (/thread-17258.html)

- Kornadian - 10-08-2003

Hi! I'm hoping someone can help me. Last year my husband and I received the most amazing wedding gift of wine from around the world. There were 12 bottles, one for each month of the year, and we have just finished them. We would like to purchase 12 more bottles and I am looking for any suggestions or recommendations as I still don't know much about wine. We would like to stick to a range of around $10-30 US per bottle. We live in South Korea, and although the selection is limited at times, often bottles can be ordered if requested. If anyone has any favourites that they would like to recommend, I would be really grateful!

- Innkeeper - 10-08-2003

Hi Kornadian, and welcome to the Wine Board. May be wrong, but I doubt if you could find any wines from twelve differnt countries over there either on the local economy or in a military exchange. Let us know what is available over there, and perhaps we can help.

- stevebody - 10-08-2003

The wines I'm posting are all made in large quantities and available in broad distribution. You may be able to find some of them, after which you might send us a list of what's available from other areas and we can help you there.

Starting in Austraila:

Paringa Shiraz
Beringer Knight's Valley Cabernet (California)
Chateau Sainte Michelle Horse Heaven Sauv Blanc (Washington)
Montes Alpha Merlot (Chile)
Broquel Malbec (Argentina)
Ravenswood Vinter's Blend Zinfandel (CA)
Condado de Haza (Spain)
Portugal Ramos Tercius (Portugal)
Domaine le Pallieres Gigondas (France)
Heyl zu Herrensheim Spatlese Patentaal (Germany)
Allegrini Palazzo della Torre (Italy)
Backsberg Pinotage (South Africa)

White and red, nice cross-section, I think. See if you can find any of them. They're all worth trying.

[This message has been edited by stevebody (edited 10-08-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 10-08-2003

That adds up to ten. Could be something from New Zealand, e.g. Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc. Hooomsoever that is only eleven. Perhaps something from Austria, Greece, or Canada could be found, but not likely. I guess you could through in bottle of Sake, but purists around here would say that is not a wine (rice vice grapes).

- Kornadian - 10-08-2003

Thanks for the quick responses Innkeeper and Stevebody! Innkeeper, you would be surprised at what we can get over here! The friend who gave us this wine last year bought all of the bottles here in Korea and she actually had to eliminate a few countries to narrow the selection down to 12. We had a nice selection of red and white wines from Italy, France, Germany, Hungary, Chile, South Africa, the US, Australia, New Zealand, Spain, Portugal and Argentina. Stevebody, I will see if I can find the ones you mentioned. Thanks again!

- Innkeeper - 10-09-2003

Bingo! Hadn't thought of Hungary. Maybe Steve can recommend one. I think you have a lot to go on at this point. Good luck.

- stevebody - 10-09-2003

OMIGOD! What a stupe I am; I forgot New Zealand. Inexcusable!

Try the Wairu Springs Sauv Blanc or the Cloudy Bay (The reigning champeen) or the Nobilo Icon. All great examples of the Kiwi Sauv Blancs.

For Hungary, try the wines that CA winemaker Mike Grgich makes there. Good soild stuff, if a bit overpriced. Also, if you like sweets, the Tokays are beautiful! Try the Royal Tokay 5 Puttonyos. Sweet as heck but flawless.

- Kcwhippet - 10-09-2003

I thought Mike Grgich was making wine in Croatia.

- Kornadian - 10-10-2003

Thanks, Steve! I will definitely check out those Kiwi wines--I was a bit disappointed with the one we received but have heard so many good things about wine from New Zealand. Worth giving it a second shot!

[This message has been edited by Kornadian (edited 10-10-2003).]

- stevebody - 10-10-2003

KC might be right about that, before you go charging off to find Grgich wines from Hungary. I think it's Hungary but I might be wrong.

- Kcwhippet - 10-10-2003

www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m3488/5_80/54711560/p1/article.jhtml