WineBoard
Long term storage - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Long term storage (/thread-17242.html)

- flyingdutchman - 08-13-2003

Hi!

I have access to a pretty neat basement (doesn't even have that typical basement smell!) that I'm not using at all right now, but I was thinking about turning it into a little cellar. It's pretty dark, no windows and a constant temperature all year round.
I have been exploring wines now for a few years and I'm interested in maybe storing some wine long term... but have no idea which wines would actually improve over a few years time (knowing 90% of wines are to be consumed within 2 years after harvest).

So, my question is, what are the basic requirements for a wine to be suitable for storage for a few years? Type of grape? Region? Both? Sugar levels? I've read a little about it on other sites, they recommend some red Bordeaux (only crus classés) for example, but not the basic knowledge on which types of wines have the best chance of improving over the years...

Thru work (I'm in logistics of wines & spirits) I can get great deals if I buy larger amounts, so plenty of opportunities to fill up that cellar at a good price! Also, reading this website regularly, I noticed some people talk about "certificates of storage" - to prove the bottle has been stored properly. Just out of curiosity, because I will keep my wines for personal use only, but who issues these certificates and how can they check something like that?

Thanks!

- Kcwhippet - 08-13-2003

I don't believe I've ever heard of "certificates of storage". Could you please point me to the message that references that. There have been a lot of messages that talk about provenance, which means that whoever is trying to sell older vintages should have to give some sort of indication that the wine has been stored under proper cellar conditions since release. There are a few of us ITB, but I don't recall anyone mentioning that they had to purchase large quantities to get good deals on wine. Where I work I get wholesale plus 10%, which can be a very good deal in some cases. I brought home a wine (just one bottle)last week that normally retails for $13.99 and we had it on sale for $11.99. the price to me was $2.78.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 08-13-2003).]

- winoweenie - 08-13-2003

Have read and re-read your post and I still don't understand the question...." which wines will stand a few years in storage "......In the type of storage you are describing you can store 2-Buck Chuck there. As far as what wines will benifit from ageing that's another matter. Any wine rag or even most wine merchants can give you a fairly good idea about the ageing potential of the wines they sell.WW

- flyingdutchman - 08-14-2003

Hi, sorry if my message was a bit unclear.
Well, in Canada wine imports are controlled by the government from A to Z, so getting wines at wholesale prices is impossible, even if you are ITB. There are a few small wine importers what work under government licences, they import more specialty stuff. Thru them we can get good deals (25-30% off, which is a lot for us!), but they are only wiling to do this if we (me and my colleagues) buy larger amounts.
Regarding my question, I was just hoping to get some pointers on which type of wines would be worth keeping, and those that are not. Considering we buy our wines from the government here, most employees can't tell you much about the wine you are buying, their knowledge usually doesn't go any further than price and the availability in their store.

In any case, thank you for your kind replies. Merci!

[This message has been edited by flyingdutchman (edited 08-14-2003).]

- winoweenie - 08-14-2003

If you have available any Bordeauxs' from the 2000 vintage, buy what you can. Even the petite chateaux will age 10 years and any of the classified growths will go longer than yopu can resist opening them.
For some of the wines I've posted tasting notes go to the Bordeaux thread and ge back 100 days. WW