WineBoard
I'm a wine snob.... declined a case of wine! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I'm a wine snob.... declined a case of wine! (/thread-17206.html)

- lizardbrains - 04-22-2005

I guess I truly am a wine snob! My cousin is moving, and doesn't have room for her wine in her new house, so she offered it to me. It's about 12-15 bottles. The thing is... She has stored them above her kitchen cupboards in the open X wine-rack things for about 10 years. They're bottles like Kendall Jackson, Beringer, etc. So: they're old, and they haven't been stored properly, plus they were bottles that were meant to be consumed around the time of purchase.

So... I felt bad saying no, especially considering she knows how much I love wine! I used my pregnancy as an excuse. (Yes, we're pregnant again... which is why you haven't seen me at all lately!)

Anyways, just thought you guys would get a chuckle out of me declining a case worth of wine!!!! But only you guys would understand WHY I said no!!!! I've learned SO MUCH for all of you!

-Elizabeth

- wondersofwine - 04-22-2005

Congratulations on your pregnancy, Liz. I guess that means you won't take my 7-8 year old California chardonnays off my hands either. I should just dump them but I may retain a couple to try.

- hotwine - 04-22-2005

Congrats LB!

Sounds like a good decision on the wine. I can hear it now, "Oh, no, I couldn't accept. Really, I just COULDN'T!"

- winoweenie - 04-22-2005

Add my congrats Liz. Why dint' you have her git in touch wif me? Love them old SWs'. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- wineguruchgo - 04-23-2005

My answer would have depended on how far away she was moving.

Out of state? Sure no problem. Then throw them away.

I'm hoping that you explained (as we all do) that the kitchen is torture on wine. I wish the cabinet makers would stop offering those built in shelves!

Many congrats on the baby. Hope it's smooth sailing for all of you!

- lizardbrains - 04-27-2005

If I weren't preggo, I would probably take them just to open 'em up and see if they're any good (I'm sure they're not). She's only an hour from me, moving an hour farther. But IMHO they're not worth storing till this baby pops out!!! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the congrats! 2006 will be the year of non-American wines for me - yay! I'm not too much of a wine snob, if I don't even know the term for "non-American"!!!!

-Elizabeth
"old world"?!

[This message has been edited by lizardbrains (edited 04-27-2005).]

- PinotEnvy - 04-28-2005

LB,

First congrats on the pregnancy.

If I understand what I have read from reading other posts, I don't think "old world" is the right term for non-American wine either since (as an example) Austrailian wine is neither American nor old-world. I don't have a better word for you either though.

- lizardbrains - 04-28-2005

PE, yeah, I thought the same thing (re: Australia not being "old world"), and I couldn't think of a better word. Oh well... you guys know what I mean! :-)

-Elizabeth

- wondersofwine - 04-28-2005

I guess you could say European wines if the focus is on France, Italy, Germany, Spain and Portugal or foreign wines (non-domestic wines) if you include places like Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina or Canada.

- Zinner - 04-29-2005

Non-domestic doesn't sound as romantic, but it is probably the accurate way to say it.

"Old World" usually refers to Europe, including eastern Europe (Hungary, Romania) and the Mediterranean (Greece, Cyprus, Israel and so forth).

"New World" is the USA, Canada and the Southern Hemisphere countries such as Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, South Africa and so on.

- Innkeeper - 04-30-2005

Zinner is correct except for some tweeking.

Old World: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, Italy (except for parts of Tuscany), and France (except for parts of Languedoc).

New World: The rest of the world.

- hotwine - 04-30-2005

IK - Assume your exceptions for parts of Tuscany and the Languedoc are due to some of their winemakers' use of non-native varietals in their "international style" offerings, no?

- Zinner - 04-30-2005

I, too, am assuming IK is excepting the Languedoc and Tuscan wines that seem more in tune with New World trends. Point well taken.

But my sources also include in Old World the Mediterranean areas as part of ancient wine history. And they include the eastern European areas. Makes sense to me. In 2004, the EU expanded to include the wine-producing nations of Hungary, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Slovenia. (Not everybody was happy about this because they lost a bunch of subsidies.)

It seems likely to me that the boundaries between Old World and New will become more and more blurred as foreign investment and traveling wine consultants become more common. Changes all over the place.

- Innkeeper - 04-30-2005

I'd accept Greece as Old World, but most of Eastern Europe is making wine in the New World style. Note; I said most not all.

- Zinner - 05-01-2005

Sure and I'd likely agree with you. Hungary has been trying to bring its Tokaj region back to former glory.

But for a lot of the world, it's similar to how things have changed in the Languedoc in France. Old World and New World are harder to assign nowadays. That's all I was trying to say.

- jmcginley1 - 05-02-2005

It is so hard to lable wines as old world/new world. For example, you have Gaja making new world Borolos, and Bruno Giacosa making old world Borolos right next door. But I digress...