WineBoard
Newbie - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Newbie (/thread-17200.html)

- WSmith - 11-26-2002

Hello. I just found this messageboard today. I'm a 22 yr. old female living in San Diego. I don't know much about wine, but I'm trying to learn more and so far this looks like an amazing source of information!

I have a book called "Introducing Wine" by Oz Clark, which gave me a lot of good basic information. The red wine I drink the most of is Shiraz; as far as whites, I usually buy Gewurztraminer or Riesling. Any recommendations of certain vineyards or other types of wine I might enjoy?

I was also wondering if anyone on here knows anything about Sake. I have tried different types at various sushi places...can anyone suggest a decent bottle? When it comes to Sake, I'm in that "it all tastes the same" phase [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

My ideal price range for any recommendation would be around $10-$15, but the holidays are coming up, so I'd also be willing to spend up to $50 for a great bottle I could share with friends and family!

- Innkeeper - 11-26-2002

Hi W, and welcome to the Wine Board. You seem to be well on track. For the whites you like I tend to stick with Alsace for the GT and with Alsace and Germany for riesling. New York's Finger Lakes puts out some great reisling too, but you won't find them there.

There are numerous wonderful shiraz' from Oz as well blends of shiraz and others including granche, cabernet, and merlot. However, we are doing some great things with syrah/shiraz in American too. Look for those from the Central Coast such a Tobin James, and from Oregon and Washington State. Many of these push your price point, but several good ones are available for under $20. You might also get into Lower Rhone wines such as Cotes du Rhone and CDR Villages. These, if not mostly, have a good shot of syrah in them.

We use Sake mostly for cooking. Do know that they should be drunk very young, as are most Italian Whites. Both are difficult to find in America without a lot of age on them.

- winoweenie - 11-26-2002

Hi W and welcome to the board. One of the finest Sakes I've experienced in years is American. Named Momokawa, they make all of 7-8 different grades of sake and all are terrific. The reason you probably think all of the sakes you've tried taste the same is, they probably do. Most of the commercial sakes in Sushi jernts are the low grade stuff. The tip-off is if it's served warm or hot it's plonk. WW Call Vintage wines on Miramar. They have lots of super wines and sakes.

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 11-26-2002).]

- WSmith - 11-26-2002

Thanks for the info!! I bought a few bottles after work today, please feel free to comment on my choices!! I bought the Georges Debouef Nouveau Beaujolias after reading here that it just came out. I've had a glass of this, but please bear with me, as this is the first time I've ever tasted wine and then commented on it....

To me, there is something missing here. I don't have the developed tasting skills some of you may, but it seems bland and thin. I can't quite place the aftertaste, but something reminds me of raspberry? It reminds me of a summertime wine, but from what I've read it won't last that long [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img] I have tried the GD Beaujolais Villages and liked it better, but it's been a while!

I also bought two bottles to try at Thanksgiving - Renwood 2000 Zinfandel and Hogue late harvest white Riesling for after dinner. Hopefully they will be good choices.

As for what I usually drink, I buy a lot of wine at Cost Plus or Trader Joe's, or just the grocery store. The Shiraz' that I enjoy and usually buy are Rosemount Estates and Jacob's Creek. I like Fetzer Gewurztraminer, but I'd like to try something that's a little more dry...I have a lot of trouble finding anything from Alsace, but I'm sure that's due to where I'm shopping...it's my favorite because I eat a LOT of spicy foods and I think it holds up well.

As for the Riesling, I have trouble finding those also. The one I bought today will be interesting, because I mostly have experience with dryer Rieslings - this is also the wine I've had the most experience with because my Dad brings them back from Germany (Air Force), but I never really paid enough attention.

I think I'm going to start saving the labels and writing notes for every bottle I try. Thanks for the replies and I look forward to learning more from you!!

- WSmith - 11-26-2002

WinoWeenie -
Sorry for yet another post! But I noticed you recommended a place in San Diego. Are you familiar with The Wine Bank on 5th and J downtown? I found it while doing an internet search. I've seen it before, but forgot about it. Since it's only about 10 blocks from my house I think I'll check it out before driving to Miramar.

- winoweenie - 11-27-2002

Hi agin there WS and, yes I've been to the bank and made a few deposits. Nice friendly place but as I stay in Carlsbad most of the times when I'm in SD it's a trip. You seem to be on the right track. I apologize for the bad lead I gave on the 02 noveau. I too think it's plonk. I reposted last nite on this horrible vintage foisted on our pocketbooks. It's been so consistantly good the last few vintages, and without seeing negative press, I jumped on the bandwagon before I'd tuned my instrument. Been there, done that 'afore..... I GUARANTEEEE I DONE' EBBER DO HIM AGIN'. Happy Turkey. WW

- wondersofwine - 11-27-2002

When you do feel like more of a drive WW's recommendation of Vintage Wines is on the mark. I visited there in September and they have a wine tasting bar and restaurant above the shop. Try to go on a weekend as they open a new group of bottles for tasting on Friday (I was there on a Thursday and they were out of a couple of the red wines I wanted to try).
Look for an Alsatian Gewurztraminer from Trimbach. That should be a fairly easy one to find at a large grocery store or wine shop. I had the Fetzer Gewurztraminer to offer as a white last Thanksgiving (I like it) but will be trying Columbia Crest Gewurz this year. Some German vineyards to try:
Wehlener Sonnenuhr, Urziger Wurzgarten, Erdener Treppchen (Mosel wines), Erbacher Marcobrunn (Rheingau), Rudesheimer wines (Rheingau), and maybe something from the Pfalz or even a wine from the Scheurebe grape.

- Rsuarez - 11-27-2002

Hi

I Just recently purchased a book title, Wines, an Introduction - I love it- I been drinking wine for a while but recently got into Vineyards, years, grapes. I notice that we both like the same things I am a big fan of shiraz. Austrialin shiraz, especially is my favorite. I also found out that I like Pinot noir and I've always been a fan of Carbarnet Sauvignon. I never liked Merlot., is to short in flavor. I discovered that I like sweet, smooth, rich tasting wine. I can tell by your choices, like Gewurztraminer, riesiling that you like smooth , semisweet wine. Try Pinot Noir.
On sake, I love Sushi, I eat 3 times a week.
you should try NIGORI, Japannese, cold sake.
It looks like rice milk. Please don't try cold sake unless is Nigori, it's japan best kept secret.
I guaranteed you 100% that your going to love it becaues our taste buds are similar.
I warn you is hard to fine. if you ever in Ny. 59 st and lexigton [- japanese store they have it_}

[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

Rose

- WSmith - 11-27-2002

Wondersofwine - thanks for the German suggestions. I'll definitely look for a few of those. I'm doing Thanksgiving with a friend who also enjoys wines, so tomorrow I'll see if she wants to take a trip up to Vintage Wines to check out the shop and the restaurant.
Rose- it does sound like we have similar tastes. THANK YOU for your Sake suggestion, I'll try to find that here. I actually went to NYU before marrying a Navy guy and being whisked off to San Diego. I visit the city often and I'll keep in mind the store you mentioned.