WineBoard
Reserve?? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Reserve?? (/thread-17167.html)

- elcaro - 03-25-2002

What is the difference between a Reserve and a non-reserve wine.

- Innkeeper - 03-25-2002

Nothing official. In most cases the winery keeps the wine made from the better grapes in "reserve" for a year or two after the regular vintage is released. Of course, the reserve gets a better price. All of this is compleatly unregulated.

- Thomas - 03-25-2002

In my experience, I find the word "reserve" on American wine labels often turns out to mean more oak aging.

- vinman - 03-25-2002

Interesting since we all have seen labels with the year 2000 designated as 'Reserve'. In fact, noticed a Chilean red 2001 the other day with the same designation. When were the grapes havested? The wine produced?
Think its all BS.

- Innkeeper - 03-26-2002

Like we said, there are no rules regarding reserves. The date (vintage) on the bottle is the year the grapes were harvested. That is a rule.

- Thomas - 03-26-2002

yeah, and since places like Oz and Chile are in another dimensional time zone, 2001 is years away from 2002...

- Innkeeper - 03-26-2002

I trust Italian Riservas (some may call me senile) and California Reds if a. I can get a decent deal, and b. if I know the winery very well. Would not buy a reserve chardonnay if it was less expensive than the regular release. Reserve chardonnay means T-I-M-B-E-R.

- Kcwhippet - 03-26-2002

IK,

Does that mean you don't like Toasted head or J. Lohr Riverstone Chards?

- Innkeeper - 03-26-2002

Most probably. Keep in mind that most of my comments about wine are relative to the possiblity of their paring with food. On a hot summer afternoon I'm apt to ingest just about anything, including an ice cold oak bomb.

- Kcwhippet - 03-27-2002

We'll have to test that theory later this year - round about June or so.

- winoweenie - 03-27-2002

Elcaro welcome to the board and to expand on your question most of Califs' top producers make a Reserve, Special Selection, etc. which are vinified from what they consider to be exceptional grapes; either from yheir oldest vines or the best part of their vinyard. BVs' Georges de Latour, Caymus Special Selection, Arrowood Reserve, Simi Reserve and Markham Reserve all fall into the catagory. They are kept in the barrell longer, and normally handled differently than their regular bottlings and naturally are more expensive. And,IMHO most of the time are worth the extra bucks. The Reserves' do take longer to come together so if you don't have good storage it isn't too wise to make the extra investment as they nowmally don't show well young. Any of the above will reward your wine-drinking experience if given the time. Kendall-Jackson Reserve, or Turning Leaf Reserve aren't in this catagory. WW