WineBoard
Will this wine work ok? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Will this wine work ok? (/thread-17131.html)

- txkajun - 01-27-2002

All right, you guys know I am still an infant in the wine world. I told you a couple of weeks ago about the tasting and the bottle of Planeta La Segretta 2000 that I bought. I loved it as it was alone, but now I am thinking about supper tonight. I am making a simple spaghetti with Itallian sausage, and I would like to open this bottle with it. I have been reading a book I bought that said for this dish I should get a Chianti or Sangeovese wine.

I went to the Planeta website, and although I don't read or speak Itallian, I was able to determine that the wine is made from
60% Nero D'Avola (never heard of that one), and 40% Merlot.

Do you think it will work?

by the way, on reading here and taking advice I have seen, I had a glass of Reisling with chicken noodle soup (with plenty of hot oil cause I am a spicy girl!) and it was wonderful. it also tasted great with the ham sandwich on potato bread. so cool!

- barnesy - 01-27-2002

Tx,

It should do fine. All kinds of italian wines go well with a good spagetti sauce. I serve valpolicella, salice, and many others...I recently discovered lagrein as well. I think I even tried a nero d'avola one time that worked well. I tend to avoid sangiovese and barbera though. Sangiovese works alright...but there are better and cheaper alternatives out there.

Barnesy

- Innkeeper - 01-27-2002

Last time we had that wine it was served with sea bass roasted with bay, lemon, & capers on a bed of Swiss chard. It should go well with your ghetti too. Incidentally Nero d'Avola is the national grape of Sicily. According to Roberto they used to ship most of it to Burgundy by tankcar for illicit blending until the authorities put a stop to it. Now the Sicilians are bottling it up either varietally or in blends like this one.

- txkajun - 01-27-2002

thanks so much, barnsey and ik.

I knew I could count on you. I'll let you know how I enjoyed the wine with food this time!

tk

- txkajun - 01-27-2002

Ok, here's how it went:

The meal came out great. The wine was slightly chilled because it's kinda warm today. It did not taste anything like I remember it in the shop once I paired it with the food. I remember it having a mild flavor, unlike the other reds I had tried. Even the experienced couple tasting at the same time said it had very low tannins.

Tonight it seemed more harsh, kind of abrasive on the nose and a bit pungent.

This will probably sound stupid, but it got a flavor almost of butter for a tiny moment, then replaced by the harshness. When the meal was over, I poured a glass of that Riesling I love, and pleasantly washed away the flavor.

Any comments would be welcomed.

tk

- Thomas - 01-28-2002

When you pair wine with tomato sauce or with spicy meats in tomato sauce you have two choices: a softer wine that contrasts the acidity and spice of the dish; an acidic wine that simulates the acid and spice of the dish. Sounds to me like you did not care for the softer wine type with this dish.

The "butter" taste might mean that the particular red had been put through malo-lactic fermentation, but that is only a guess, since I would have to taste the wine to make such a claim with any serious shot at accuracy. The butter could also mean that the food overpowered the wine.

- txkajun - 01-28-2002

wow, ok, foodie.

what would you recommend to simulate the acidity?

Would I like the wine better with something like cheese? I paid 15 bucks for it and I sure don't want to get rid of it, I just would like an idea of a more favorable match!

thanks so much!

tk

- Thomas - 01-28-2002

Chianti, Morellino, Dolcetto would all be more acidic than the Sicilian red.

- txkajun - 01-28-2002

thank you. what would you advise that i pair with that bottle while it has a little life left in it? (opened yesterday)

- Innkeeper - 01-29-2002

Sea bass roasted with bay, lemon, & capers on a bed of Swiss chard.

- yclim - 01-31-2002

What food compliments CHianti? I intend to get a Ruffino CHianti Classico Riserva.

- Innkeeper - 01-31-2002

I like it with an Italian style beef stew, with tomatoes and spices (on the warm side), served with vegetables, and polenta.

- Thomas - 01-31-2002

When I am not in a cooking mood I get some prosciutto di Daniele, a wedge of fresh regianno (not the stuff that has been hardened like fossil, and tastes like one), maybe some dried sausage, a baguette and a Chianti.

Oh, and some olives, plus a small bowl of olive oil with crushed garlic and hot pepper in which to dip the bread.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-31-2002).]

- txkajun - 02-02-2002

I agree that my problem was with the meal selected.

I had a glass of the wine with a little gouda cheese, and the wine tasted MUCh better.

I think I am going to have to experiment a lot more.

Oh, I bought a bottle of the Beaujolais Villages. I'll let you know what I thought of it.