WineBoard
Have my tastes become expensive? Help! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Have my tastes become expensive? Help! (/thread-17122.html)

- NorCalGirl - 04-24-2003

Okay - I'm miffed...I've been drinking wine consistenty for a few years now (I'm 26) and have enjoyed a diversity of wines. In the last year or so, I have become more adventurous and have been trying a wide variety of wines in an effort to learn more about what specifically appeals to me. Right now, I seem to be on a roll of one wine after another that I just don't really care for. I have learned that I don't care for anything especially dry (in particular, dry red wine) but I just haven't had anything lately that leaves me wanting more (even when there is still more in the bottle, which is unusual for me!). Are my tastes just growing more specific or do I need to head in a different direction? Here is an example of what I've had in the last few days....

Ch. Ste. Michelle CS Cold Creek Vineyard (99)
Good overall, but too dry for me

Phillips Old Vine Zin Lodi (99)
Also good overall, but still too dry for me

Ballentine Napa Zin (98) VERY alcoholic - couldn't even find much of the other flavors

Trinity Oaks Zinfandel (99)
Very inexpensive, and boring along with that hot, alcoholic finish

Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay Grand Reserve
I liked this quite a bit - nice blend of fruit/oak/vanilla

I tend to like more of the fruit-forward Zins but not with the extra-high alcohol content... have been trying to branch out with not much success...

Suggestions anyone?? A different vintage? A different region? Drink more white wine? Perhaps I should go toward exploring more Pinot with the creamy-fruit flavor instead of the spicy-fruit flavor I've been finding?? I know I'm in the realm of the subjective, but I'm hoping that someone can see where I'm headed and give me some suggestions....Sorry for the long post - I look forward to your insight....

- Kcwhippet - 04-24-2003

Doesn't sound like you're getting any help from your local wine guys. I suggest you see Marcus Graziano at Capitol Cellars in Gold River.

- Thomas - 04-24-2003

Give Riesling a try--the semi-dry style. Talk to your wine merchant about it. Also, try Muscat wines--and don't forget there are more wines than just those produced on the West Coast.

- Drew - 04-24-2003

Sounds like the reds arn't your cup of tea right now so what's wrong with exploring the whites? Why not compare some U.S. chards against some from Australia, Chile and Argentina, both with and without oak, as well as white burgandy from France. Another white you might enjoy is Viognier, which is the principle white grape variety in the Northern Rhone. It's very floral and fruity with peach, apricot and apple nuances.

Drew

- winoweenie - 04-24-2003

Heck-fire there NCGirl, don't apologise for the teeny post. SB can spot you the 6,7,8, and the break for length and not say enny-thin in the process. The guys are rite on. Do some whites for awhile. And sure as there's snow on Donner Pass you'll get to reds. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 04-24-2003).]

- NorCalGirl - 04-24-2003

Thanks all for your suggestions...I think I will drink more white for awhile - I've just really enjoyed reds up until recently and frankly am annoyed that I'm spending money on things I'm not enjoying. I have drank rieslings and muscats and they tend to be far too sweet for me. I have had a viognier that I really enjoyed in the last few weeks so maybe I'll keep exploring those as well. Good idea as well to compare whites from different regions. Gold River is not very conveinent for me - but I might give them a try when I can get to that side of town. And, do believe, there is a PILE of snow over Donner Pass this morning and I won't be headed to Nevada this weekend for my regular camping trip...hmmm, maybe now I'll have time to get to Gold River this weekend! Thanks all...

- ShortWiner - 04-24-2003

Also, the red varieties you mentioned--Zin & CS--tend to have the highest alcohol content around, and be on the spicy side. Go for some Beaujolais or Pinot Noir-based wines if you want to keep trying reds.

- stevebody - 04-26-2003

Girl,

I think I know what you're talking about and I need to put an oar in here.

This thing of finding a string of wines you don't like in a seming unbroken string is a phonomenon that will, eventually, happen to everybody. I've tasted maybe 450 wines in our sample tastings here at Esquin in the recent months and just exactly four have lit me up like New Year's. On a recent rtip to Tennessee, I tasted over 50 samples that had been stacking up at my restaurant and NONE of them stood out. One good suggestion: seek out public tastings. Many wine shops have them and even some restaurants. Go to as many as you can find. It's a great, low-or-no cost way to sample wines and find stuff you like without courting financial ruin.

Next, give your palate a break for a while. Drink something else and wait until you have a serious urge to taste wine. In the reds, I bet what you're reading as "dry" is acidity or just lack of balance. My fiancee says that all the time and that's what the wines have in common. I read your list and I'd suggest a bottle of Pepperwood Grove Syrah. It's very nicely fruity, has some interesting bacground flavors, tastes like Syrah, and is easy to find. I think the low acidity and generous fruit may be to your liking.

Keep trying! There's a wine out there with your name on it.