WineBoard
how to difference whether the wine? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: how to difference whether the wine? (/thread-17100.html)

- wayne78 - 10-14-2005

hi all
how to difference whether the wine is dry or sweet or .....?
what kind of veriaty are dry? and how to know it?

plssss help
TQ

- winoweenie - 10-14-2005

See the answer above. Same ole', same ole'. WW

- wayne78 - 10-15-2005

see the answer above ?

pls help me ...... how to difference?
whether is dry or ......?

- Innkeeper - 10-15-2005

Most red wine is dry. The most widely distributed sweet red is Lambrusco. White wine depends on the grape. More whites than reds are off dry or sweet. Of the popular whites Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, and Sauvignon Blanc are usually dry. Riesling and Chenin Blanc can be dry or off dry or sweet. It usually tells you on the label in the native language of the producer.

- wayne78 - 10-16-2005

thanks innkeeper
now a have some picture in my mind already
so how about merlot and shiraz?

- Innkeeper - 10-17-2005

Both usually dry as are most reds.

- wayne78 - 10-18-2005

izzit merlot is more to sweet?

how was the taste for shiraz? better than cabernet sauvignon?

- Innkeeper - 10-18-2005

Now I don't know whether you are talking about actual sweetness (residual or added sugar after fermentation) or perceived sweetness (from the fruitiness in the wine). Neither Merlot, nor Shiraz, nor Cabernet Sauvignon are normally fermented sweet or off dry. Some of any of them might taste sweet because sugar has been left or added (one method is adding unfermented grape juice), or has an abundance of fruit flavor. We drink more Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon than Merlot because they usually have more dimensions than Merlot. That does not mean to say we don't enjoy an exceptional Merlot from time to time.

- wayne78 - 10-19-2005

thanks for those infomation

so let's talk about after fermantation, whish is dry, off dry or sweet?

it really confuse me coz someone told me that alc. content more that 14% iis consider sweet.......
pls advise...

- Kcwhippet - 10-20-2005

Whoever told you that is wrong. Generally speaking, the more mature the grapes at harvest, the more sugars they have, which translates into higher alcohol. The sugar is converted into alcohol by the yeast during fermentation, so if there's more sugar the wine ends up with more alcohol if the winemaker ferments to dry, as they do with almost all wines. About the only exception is when the winemaker stops fermentation to leave some sugar to create a dessert wine. So whoever told you more alcohol means a sweet wine is very wrong.

- wayne78 - 10-27-2005

hi all
how do we know that the wine are fruity or dry or off dry
like innkeeper say that most read wine are dry but i try some of the red wine aren't dry at all
how do we understand that the wine are dry or how to difference it? cause some of the label are not state it.
pls help.......

another question is why at the bottom of every bottle have a deeper hole ( i mean the punch if i am not wrong?)
izzit deeper the better? and why need the be deeper?

- Kcwhippet - 10-27-2005

Fruity and dry (or off dry) are different concepts when defining wine. Dry generally means the wine has been fermented to a point where the taster doesn't perceive any sweetness, and that's at about .6% or less residual sugar. Of dry means there is a slight amount of residual sugar, but not enough to make the wine taste really sweet. Fruitiness is just that - a lip smacking fruity taste that's can be present whether the wine is totally dry or a dessert wine high in residual sugar.

First off, not every bottle has that "hole", which is called a punt. The punt originated when bottles were hand made by glass blowers and it was difficult to make the bottom perfectly flat. They pushed the base of the still soft glass down on a wood form which made the indentation, and the bottle was able to rest flat on a table. One advantage of the punt is to strengthen the base of the bottle and that's why it's used for sparkling wine bottles. There's a lot of pressure in a sparkling wine bottle and the punt helps keep the botom from blowing out. Since the development of more modern glass blowing techniques, the use of the punt in wine bottles, other than sparkling wine, is really not necessary. Some sources say it's now used to keep the sediment in wines in a localized place, but that's not a really accurate statement. By the way, the term punt comes from the glassblowing tool used to make the bottle - it's called a punty.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 10-27-2005).]

- wayne78 - 10-27-2005

thanks Kcwhippet

now i really got some picture about wine,

so what the difference for cabernet sauvignon, shiraz and merlot? the taste and finishing?

what the difference about new world and old world?