WineBoard
Wine from California - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Wine from California (/thread-17047.html)

- Mio - 04-26-2002

Hi!

I would be delighted if someone could help me with my assignment.I have to find a bottle of wine (made in California) and then find out if you can order the bottle to Europe. (Where I live)
My problem is that I can´t just pick any wine. In order to find good wine I need some help from an expert. If you consider yourself as an expert please help me and give suggestions on which wine I should pick and why. (grapes, year, producer). The price per bottle should not exceed 25 US dollars.
Thank you!

Best regards: Mio

- Innkeeper - 04-26-2002

Hi Mio, and welcome to the Wine Board. Maybe I don't understand the question, but why can't you just go to your closest wine retail outlet and see what California Wine they have there. Make a list and let us know what they do have, and then we can make recommendations.

- Kcwhippet - 04-26-2002

Mio, You can also go on line and find what you're looking for at www.wine-searcher.com.

- Innkeeper - 04-26-2002

KC, I thought of that, but there are no Swedish sources on wine-searcher. Lebanese, yes, but Swedish, no!

- Kcwhippet - 04-26-2002

That's what I get for giving a pat answer. I went to Wine-searcher and, you're right, no Sweden. Sorry about that. It looks like Mio may be at the mercy of his local retailers.

- winoweenie - 04-28-2002

Hi Mio and welcome to the board. Looks like lots of words and no addressing your problem. A wine that is available at most stores is the Beaulieu Vineyards " Rutherford " Bottling that should come in at the specified price. As far as ordering I'd bet that Pops wine Would ship. Contact them on the web. I think it's popswine.com. Good luck! WW

- Mio - 04-29-2002

Dear all,
I maybe did not explain my problem clear enough.This is an assignment (at university)
Of course I can buy wine from California here in Europe too, at a local shop (and ask for help), but my assignment is about how e-shopping is working and the first part of it is to ask for some advice (chat)from an expert what kind of Californian wine I should buy.
Thank you for your co-operation!
Best regards:
Mio

- Innkeeper - 04-29-2002

The most popular wines from California continue to be cabernet sauvignon and chardonnay. The fastest growing segment right now are wines based on grapes from the Rhone Valley in France. Syrah is the flagship grape of this movement. There are many others. Growers and producers of these grapes and wines are known as Rhone Rangers. They have a website: www.rhonerangers.com

- zenda2 - 04-29-2002

Mio,
Welcome to our forum. You've heard from our experts, these ladies and gentlemen are very wise when it comes to wine. One more thought for your assignment...let me recommend almost any good Zinfandel from California, but Ridge Zinfandel in particular such as Geyserville or Lytton Springs.
Cabernet and Merlot may be more popular California wines, but for your assignment, I think Zinfandel is better. After all, you can also buy fine Cabernet and Merlot from Europe, and closer usually means cheaper. You'll find that our California Zinfandel is hard to beat, and it's worth the cost of shipping
(note: for your information, Italy is now legally labeling some wine made from 'Primitivo' grapes as Zinfandel-experts have declared them the same grape within the past year).

Zinfandel wines are among the Best products that California has to offer, and the two wines I mentioned are fine examples. For more information on Ridge wines, look here:

http://www.ridgewine.com/

Good luck with your assignment,

Lycka till!

- wondersofwine - 04-30-2002

I was going to suggest Ridge Lytton Springs Zinfandel also but here it costs almost $30 and the original question mentioned a $25 limit. There are other zinfandel choices from Ravenswood, Rancho Zabaco, etc. that would not exceed $25. Jed Steele might have a zinfandel for less also.