WineBoard
Wines from Paraguay - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Wines from Paraguay (/thread-17032.html)

- paul_groes - 11-22-1999

Hello out there,

I hope that somebody can help me on this item....
I am looking for wine from Paraguay.
Now I do not know whether Paraguay produces wine or not, but if they do can somebody give me some information on them?

If you are wondering why especially Paraguay: me and my friends are going to cook in Paraguayan style and would like to have some Paraguayan wine to go with it.

Many thanks in advance,
Paul

- Jerry D Mead - 11-22-1999

I don't know of any Paraguayan wines, and if there are any I don't know of any being imported to the U.S.

Uruguay, on the other hand, is the fourth largest producer of tables wines in South America...is that close enough?

Besides, people the world over drink foreign wines with the local cuisine so no reason you shouldn't.

I have drunk German, American and Italian wines...all in restaurants in Paris...so just select wines that will go with the food.

If you want to put up your menu, we'll try to help you.

- paul_groes - 11-23-1999

Thanks for your quick reply...

We thought it would be nice to have Paraguayan wine as well, but if there is none then we'll just go with some other good wines. We had a great Bordeuax last month, but we forgot to take of the label from the bottle.
Anyway, the menu will probably be something with soup (beef soup, I think) some lamb or other meat dish. The dessert is not yet decided on. In between we will have some small apetizers, I think.

Any advise would be nice.

- Jerry D Mead - 11-23-1999

That Bordeaux you liked would probably be dandy with the lamb...we'd have to know what's in the appetizers to make any suggestions for a first course wine.

Lamb also likes Zinfandel, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon.

- tomstevenson - 11-23-1999

Yes, there are wines made in Paraguay. Vines have grown there since 1537, but if you examine Paraguay economic reports you will find that wine is economically less important palm cabbages and concentrated beef broth, which is why it's not exported.

- Jerry D Mead - 11-24-1999

I stand corrected...and someone should call Jancis Robinson to get Paraguay included in the next Oxford Companion.

- Bucko - 11-24-1999

I did an internet wine search on Paraguay and wine on 14 different engines. Know what I found? Zilch...... I think that Brazilian wine has got to you, Tom....... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

Bucko

- tomstevenson - 12-09-1999

I've only just seen your comeback Bucko. No, Brazilian wine has not got to me, and three comments about the Internet: (1) although it is amazing what you can find on the Internet, it's still a fraction of collective human knowledge; (2) not everything on the Internet is necessarily true, much is incorrect, sometimes deliberately so - no self-respecting writer would rely on anything found by electronic means without verifying it first; and (3) as you checked 14 search engines, you're obviously well aware that hit rates can vary from zilch to thousands - however, there are over 2,000 search (see: www.beaucoup.com/engines.html), so you've still have a lot of searching to do!

Paraguayan wine does exist; the vineyards are located in an area known as Villa Rica, east by southeast of Ascuncion.

[This message has been edited by tomstevenson (edited 12-09-1999).]

[This message has been edited by tomstevenson (edited 12-09-1999).]

- tomstevenson - 12-09-1999

Just seen your note Curmy. Jancis need only refer to my Sotheby's Encyclopedia! I saw her only two days ago and would have passed on your comment, but I had not revisited this post. We were both at a lunch to celebrate the launch of Moet & Chandon's Esprit du Siecle ($20,000 per magnum: I had three glasses!). The venue was at a minimalist hotel calle The Hempel (owned and designed by Anouska Hempel, who is probably best remembered for romping all over the screen in next to nothing in The Tales of Tiffany Jones, 1975). Jancis was dressed as elegantly as I've seen her, everyone was departing and we had just started a conversation when we were interrupted. A few minutes later she casually leaned against the wall and said "As I was saying, how are you Tom?" .... The trouble with those minimalist designers is that you can never be sure when a wall is a wall. Well, the wall moved at the slightest touch of her shoulder. It just kept going and so did Jancis, although she managed to keep on her feet - just!
Tom