WineBoard
rookie questions - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: rookie questions (/thread-16920.html)

- blappie - 01-03-2002

Does anyone have a suggestion for cataloging likes and dislikes with regard to wines? In a short span of time I've amassed voluminous opinions but generally I've forgetten by the time I'm back at the store. Labels appear familiar but I can't recall if I've sampled them or not. Should I merely get a notebook and scribble my impressions? If so, what do I write? "Yummy with nice nose?". I'm curious if there's some time-tested way or if it's a purely subjective whatever-works-for-you type deal.
Thanks in advance --

PS - this message board rocks. very helpful.

- Thomas - 01-04-2002

It's difficult to carry a stash of labels to the store each time you go to shop, but it is not difficult to carry a small notebook with you.

Write whatever your impressions are about a wine--and if you liked or disliked it. There is no wine-write police out there--Yet!

At my store we help people along. Every receipt comes with a brief description of the wine and the foods it matches. We write the receipts ourselves, relying on no advertiser or promoter to tell us about the wine--we taste the wine before we decide to sell it. And the receipt comes already three-hole-punched. In addition, if you sign up for our optional wine-tracking program, we can tell you what you bought each time you visited the store.

Too bad you aren't in NYCity.

- Innkeeper - 01-04-2002

Hi Blappie, and welcome to the Wine Board. There are a number of softward packages out there to help you. Go all the way back on the paraphernalia thread for ideas and suggestions. I just use a simple file on my WP that I keep in alphabetical order. Works just fine even though we try nearly 200 new wines each year.

Regardless, this is your information. Use any language or phrasing you want. If you check some of the tasting notes (TNs) on this board, some people make public any language or phrasing they want.

- barnesy - 01-04-2002

I use a super high tech system...

I have a blank writing journal, the large 9 by 11 jobby (bought in the clearance bin at Border's). In it, I write all the information from the label that I need to identify it. Then I write where I bought it. Finally, I talk about the wine. Basically, you only need to mention three things - color, smell and taste. Use whatever terms you feel comfortable with. As you get more accustomed to writing about wine you will see a general vocabulary that is used and incorperate it into your writing. I usually only include wines I like and wish to buy again in the future.

I also have a tiny pocket notebook that I use to write down stuff I see at the store that I may be interested in later and also recommendations from this board that I wish to try.

For under 10 bucks, you can get yourself set up with all the record keeping supplies you'll need till you get enough into it to devote the kind of money you need to assemble a large collection and then catalogue it. Develop whatever style you like. Its fun to read your early entries and watch yourself progress.

Barnesy

- gary - 01-04-2002

The man who invented THE finest aircraft in the world had a great saying, and it went like this..."keep it simple stupid!" He was the late Kelly Johnson of Lockheed. What i'm saying is, use the easiest method that will keep you from forgeting WHY you started it in the first place. A notepad STILL works wonders.

- Hal - 01-11-2002

I've have the same problem and I'm glad to read the helpful replies posted here. I keep a photo album at home with the wine labels I have managed to remove. I think Foodie's suggestion is excellent, so I've traded in my PDA for a PAD. I found a nice 4" x 5" leather bound diary that fits in almost any pocket and take with me when I dine out and visit wine store tastings. Great idea! Thanks foodie!