WineBoard
HELP, I need help on the literature of wine!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: HELP, I need help on the literature of wine!! (/thread-16916.html)

- celribbit - 01-08-2001

Im a tourism student in England. I have a work experience placement in a 5* hotel. In my job description, it said that I would deal with the purchasing and handling of wines for the restaurant. I have no idea on where to start when it comes to wine. Can someone pls. help me in starting to learn about wine and its industry. Maybe pointers on how I can learn the basics of wine. PLS HELP as this will help me in my work experience.

- barnesy - 01-08-2001

Well, if you are in the London area, you have a great oppurtunity. On the main page of this site should be an article about Vinopolis. Read that article and go there. It would be an interactive way to learn exactly what you need to learn, and fun as all get out. Wish I had something like that near here [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img] I am sure they will also have some books in stock they can recommend. Also, another good basic learning book is Wine for Dummies. Despite the derogatory name, its very well written and filled with great info.

Barnesy

- Drew - 01-08-2001

celribbit, another good book for novices is "The Wall Street Journal Guide to Wine". Very well written with the beginner in mind.

Drew

- celribbit - 01-09-2001

hey thanks for all the advice, that is exactly what I needed!!! The only problem with Barnesy's first suggestion is that I dont actually live in London!! But I will try to go b4 my work experience!!, many thanks

- Botafogo - 01-09-2001

Can someone please tell me what sort of "five star" hotel puts a total novice in charge of wine buying for its restaurant????? Do they also take interns as Exectutive Chef and Concierge??? I want to make sure not to stay there. This is not a flame on the originator of this thread but a brutal reality check for travelers....

Roberto

- Catch 22 - 01-09-2001

Roberto,
He said he would "deal with" the purchasing and handling of wines, not be in charge of it. "Dealing with it" may be unloading the truck and checking the packing list to make sure the order is correct.

Jeff

- barnesy - 01-09-2001

Yeah, from his description, it sounds like he is in school and has gotten a very nice internship kind of deal.

Barnesy

- celribbit - 01-10-2001

Hey Botafogo, I asked for some advice not pessimistic comments. The Training Officer obviously thought I am capable of the job. I know what I need to know about the hospitality industry in order to do this work experience. It will be a good and beneficial experience for me and I know I can do the job appropriately so don't knock me for it. Besides you don't even know me and what I am capable of. BTW I am in college and 18. Did you know the legal age for buying alcohol in the UK is 18, so the purchasing role obviously is equitable. Besides, I won't be a front-of-house staff member and so won't have to deal with cynical ppl like yourself, sir!!! to end the note, for those mature ppl who gave me helpful advice, thank you.

[This message has been edited by celribbit (edited 01-10-2001).]

- celribbit - 01-10-2001

BTW my role is an "Assistant Purchasing Manager", and not some1 who "uploads the truck" or "check packages"!!

Just because I don't have an indepth knowledge of the wine industry does not mean I'm not capable of the other tasks.

[This message has been edited by celribbit (edited 01-10-2001).]

- Botafogo - 01-10-2001

And I am 44 have been a Sommelier at the highest levels for decades and now run one of the premier wine shops in America and I learn something EVERYDAY and I didn't learn enough to do that job for a five star restaurant in the first TEN years.

This is a serious business, like being a musician, and you cannot just "jump in", you have to absorb hundreds of years of information and thousands of names of products and styles and it takes time, period. I stand by my question. If what you are going to do is check inventories and re order from a list of preselected wines approved by the ACTUAL purchasing manager, then you'll be ok. Otherwise I fear for the diners. Just the facts.

And yes I am aware of the laws governing alcohol in many countries as I do direct importing and marketing on a worldwide basis (I am going to Brasil to follow up on importing Cachaças de Minas Gerais on Saturday).

Roberto

PS: if your posting is in Europe, they are going to smack that attitude right back at you with glee.

- NikoChow - 01-11-2001

I have to agree, the Wine for Dummies book is great. I too am very new at this whole wine thing and it has definitely come in handy! Kudos to the Dummies series!

- Botafogo - 01-11-2001

>>I have no idea on where to start when it comes to wine.<<

>>I know what I need to know about the hospitality industry in order to do this work experience.<<

Only one of these statements can be correct simultaneously, yes? Here's some advice meant with heartfelt hope you will indeed become a GREAT hotelier: Print out a copy of this whole page and, in twenty years, look me up at VinItaly and I will buy us a great bottle of Amarone to sip why we trade war stories about what complete twits we BOTH were when we were young, dumb and full of......oh, this is a family forum...vinegar.

Cheers, Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 01-11-2001).]

- celribbit - 01-11-2001

I feel I must apologise for my reply to Roberto. I took that reply as partonising criticism. I understand your sceptisism, maybe it is because I didnt explain my situation well. But I must say that I ASKED for advice from ppl who could help me and not criticism. I think that the space in which you wrote your initial comment on could have been used to help me since you have a vast knowledge of wine. I want to create a good image if I go to this hotel and know the basics of wine, that is why I requested for information from ppl who are learned in this area. I dont think you know really what this job uniquely involves since you are going by what Ive said, yes? "by the facts", yes? well if you must know this job is designed to help me LEARN about various aspects of that area, not solely deal with the tasks in hand. I will be obvously supervised by a supervisor, to "help" me "deal" with such tasks as purchasing of wines.

I would like to ask you this, "Do you think that my request for this information is a good indication of initiative and that a desire for perfection should entice pessismism?

[This message has been edited by celribbit (edited 01-11-2001).]

- celribbit - 01-11-2001

JUST one more thing, my mother has read your comments and agrees with me that for a 44 year old, well-educated and successful man, his attitude is childish!! sorry mate

hasta luego

P.S. ne1 else agree? and I will not be replying to you Señor Roberto since I have to read some of the suggested books!!

[This message has been edited by celribbit (edited 01-11-2001).]

- Botafogo - 01-11-2001

And, as I stated in my initial post (AFTER several folks had pointed you in the right direction):

"This is not a flame on the originator of this thread but a brutal reality check for travelers...."

And, one of the reason I got OUT of the hospitality business was that (much more so here in America than in Europe) these sorts of things DO happen.

Again, I wish you well, but it will take YEARS to begin to even realize what you DON'T know. When I was the Beverage Director at Antoine's in New Orleans my counterpart at Brennans next door was 78 years old and used to tell me all the time, "Just when I thought I had a handle on this stuff I find something new....."

Ate logo, Roberto

- winoweenie - 01-11-2001

Celribbit, Sorry I`m into this so late but have been out of town. I can certainly see the merit in your inquiry and the enthusiasm with which you are attacking your new position, but, like Botofugo I would be hesistant to book a stay at this multi-star establishment. When I spend 200 plus per nite I expect the staff to be professionals with a knowledge close to my own in the La Vida Loca. You need to start your learning curve at a more modest resort and work your way into a 5-Star. As far as your Mothers comment about Boto, It only applies to his preference in middle-aged-19-year-old-blondes. Pray you`re good enuf to polish his Screw-Pull in 10 years. winoweenie