WineBoard
Pronunciation of "MOET" - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Pronunciation of "MOET" (/thread-16915.html)

- Trinbag033 - 02-06-2001

I would like to know what is the correct Pronunciation of "MOET"

- Brwniis586 - 02-06-2001

So would I! :-)

- Blue - 02-06-2001

Moe-Ette (not Moe-Ay)

- mrdutton - 02-06-2001

Blue is right-on. The little mark above the "e" before the "t" means that the "t" is hard.

mo-ehT is the way I'd have done the phonetics..... but the point here is to give the emphasis to the "T" not to the "e".

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 02-06-2001).]

- Kcwhippet - 02-07-2001

BTW, the reason for the pronunciation being mo-ette rather than mo-ay, which would be the expected French, is one of heritage. The Moet family is originally Dutch, and have kept the Dutch pronunciation.

- Loren - 02-09-2001

MR Dutton is wrong in regards to the .. above the E. Those two dots are called a TREMA which means that each vowel needs to be sounded seperatly rather than combined. The dots have nothing to do with the T which is a not a vowel. This would be in the French language.

- mrdutton - 02-09-2001

Someone once explained to me that the .. over the vowel also meant that the next letter following the vowel was pronounced "hard" rather than "soft".

Thus Moët and Jouët...... both are pronounced with a hard "t".

So I guess I was incorrectly instructed, eh.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 02-09-2001).]

- winoweenie - 02-09-2001

Just an aside to add to your banks of useless trivia....Back in Shawnee we pronounced it MOO-ET which meant all the cows be fed. WW

- Blue - 02-09-2001

For those who speake some French...when I was a kid I mis-pronounced MOËT....my father always said think of a seagull son (homonym in French)

btw, the two dots over the e change the pronunciation of the VOWEL (makes it open) but it does also have an effect on the consonent. T's in french are sometimes silent and other times not, and it is true that T's after "ë" are never silent while "..et" is pronounced like "..er" or "é" and "..ent" at the end of a verb conjugated in the third person plural is completely silent. So you are both right, main thing it does is change vowel but it does also have an indirect affect on the consonant following the vowel.

[This message has been edited by Blue (edited 02-09-2001).]

- mrdutton - 02-09-2001

Merci, Blue. I appreciate the lesson. I wish that my French was much, much better than my rusty remembrances from times past.

Maybe I should go back to school...... that might be fun. Americans are kinda stupid in this regard anyway. We are one of the few folks on the planet who are, collectively, mono-lingual. Most other folks are, at the minimum, bi-linqual.

- Blue - 02-12-2001

MrDutton, it also comes from the fact that Americans have very little use for another language...its what happens when your native language is the de-facto world standard language.

But take heart in the fact that the French are one of the WORST speakers of English in Europe (the best would probably be the Dutch)

- barnesy - 02-12-2001

The Danes speak pretty good english as well. First Dane I ever met spoke english so well I just thought was from a different part of the US and had a slight accent. But then again, English is a rough mix of German, French, Latin, a smidge of old viking and a few others languages...

Barnesy

- Blue - 02-12-2001

Yeah thats true, as do the Finns and Swedes!

- Loren - 02-17-2001

What a topic. The different thing that we can learn from one word is incredable. What I need to learn is more about wine which is why I am here but I do have to say that my French is impeccable.

- winoweenie - 02-17-2001

Your attitude isn`t as impeccable as your French. If you go back and study the board you'll find that once a question has been sufficiently answered a little humor slips in. If'n you don' like this style then I suggest you log on to Harringtons' WCWN or the Wine Spectators'useless drivel. winoweenie

- chittychattykathy - 02-18-2001

Loren,
You may know French, but your English needs work! I do hope that you were just kidding around in your last post, right?

- Loren - 02-24-2001

I apologize to those who are reading me wrong. I am here to learn and have fun. Mabe some of you need to lighten up 'cause life is too short. c'est la vie.
Regards--Loren

- Botafogo - 02-24-2001

But none of the above addresses the real point: those french are devilish with their hidden meanings, silent letters and philosophical nuances so the actual, fully extracted pronounciation is "industrial fizz backed by massive marketing $$$ that is not quite half as good as quality producers' bottlings for the same money". Man, no wonder French is the language of diplomacy, you could NEVER pack all that meaning into a single English word!

Roberto