WineBoard
Sparkling Wine/Champagne - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Sparkling Wine/Champagne (/thread-16903.html)

- Wine-Oh - 12-31-2001

This Christmas I embarked on a new adventure with a wonderful gift from my sister of a few nice bottles of wine and some wonderful wine accessories and have determined that 2002 will be my year to really experience wine and learn as much about it as possible. I can tell you, this is fun! I love the tasting part and now I have stumbled (not literally. . . . )onto this site and am finding it exceedingly enlightening. Could one of you seasoned wine veterans assist me in the selection of a nice sparkling wine/champagne for New Years? I find the challenge here to be choosing nice wines that are not necessarily the most pricey. I am undertaking this adventure in Missoula, Montana, if that is any help to you in your suggestions. Thanks so much. Happy New Year!

- winedope - 12-31-2001

Hi Wine-Oh, and welcome to the board! As I'm sure the more well versed members of the board will say, it would help if you gave a price range which is reasonable for you and your taste preferences, ie- do you like sweeter or drier, etc. This additional information will allow you to receive more accurate suggestions to suit your taste and budget. WD

[This message has been edited by winedope (edited 12-31-2001).]

- Wine-Oh - 12-31-2001

Thanks! See what a novice I am at all of this? I do know that I like a drier wine and I am thinking under $50.00 would be good. I once had a Champagne that tasted "creamy," but I am sure that was probably a more expensive bottle. Thanks!

- Innkeeper - 12-31-2001

Look for an Iron Horse Brut. It is just about as good a brut as is made on American shores. Should be available in Missoula, and will run you 30 bucks or less.

- mrdutton - 01-01-2002

The Iron Horse Brut is good. I like the Iron Horse Blanc de blanc even more than the Brut.

Neither one will break you that is for sure....... and they are quite good sparklers.

Here are some others that are not so expensive as to require a second mortgage:

J

Schramsberg

NV Chandon

1990 Piper-Heidsieck

Getting a bit more expensive - one of my favorites:

1989 Perrier-Jouet Fleur de Champagne (about $100.00 for a 750 bottle)

And then there is the bottle we opened last night. Now some will poo-poo this stuff as being mass produced, run of the mill and others will ooh and ahhh over it. I thought it was nice and creamy with plenty of small bubbles rising from the bottom of the flute to tease the nose and the palate: 1990 Dom Perignon (a bit less than $100.00 a bottle when we bought it).

- wineinitiate - 01-02-2002

I am American and not well versed in European languages. How does one pronounce Brut or Blanc? And Brut is a champagne, right? And all champagnes are white wines?

Thanks!

- winoweenie - 01-02-2002

Hi there WineI and welcome to the board. You desperatly need to go to AS-IS wine there in NYC and talk some strong stuff with the proprietor our very own Foodie, " All-Knowing Wine Guru That Speaks Fluent Winese. " He can impart more stuff in a half-bottle than you can learn in a magnum from most of them other dudes. To answer your question, No, Champagne isn't always white. Some of the great Bubblies are made from Red grapes and come out as pink or Roses'. WW