WineBoard
What wine is this? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: What wine is this? (/thread-16875.html)

- noitall - 07-19-2000

I recently had a great wine at Le Cirque in Las Vegas, but I can't remember what it was. I think it was San Basilliac or something. It was a white and it was quite sweet. Can anyone help me?

- Thomas - 07-20-2000

My minor detective work comes up with the word Barsac--don't ask me how, that is all I can think of. Barsac is a dessert wine from Bordeaux--kind of like Sauternes, but without the hype and notoriety.

Hang in there, one of our clairvoyants might come through for you....

- noitall - 07-20-2000

Thanks for your reply foodie. I'll have to check that out. I'm such a dodo. While I was at the restaurant I should have written it down. I guess I was enjoying myself too much to think about it then. Thanks again

- winoweenie - 07-20-2000

Noitall, Welcome to the board. Foodie has undoubtedly hit the head on the nail. IF, this wine was served at the end of the meal, Rite On . Winoweenie

- noitall - 07-20-2000

winoweenie
The wine in question was served as a wine pairing with fois gras. It was all part of the chef's tasting menu that night. Thanks for the information.
noitall

Noitall, ....Apairing as Randy C would say in 2000 words or more, a match made in Vegas. Sauternes ( Or Barsac ) ( Or Ice Wines, Trockenbeerenauslese`s ) or even our late harvest reislings from here in the states make a marvelous pairing with Pates`.Think the pairing of a great sweet dessert wine with Pate made the memorable, stumble out of Le Cirque with an extrodinary experience the same as Sirio and Sons have done for years in New York. I personally think you can duplicate this by buying a slab of fresh Pate and a bottle of a superb dessert wine, Have fun.Winoweenie P.S You mtite want to try the Pamplemousse for a different , out of the way joint in Vegas. This is the p[lace the Rat Pack hung out for 20 years. UGLY outside, one of the fun dining experiences in town now. Duck beyond belief and a slab of aged Strip that cuts with a fork. Winoweenie

- Thomas - 07-20-2000

Oh yes, I recently attended a tasting of Italian sweet wines with pate--marvelous.

Where do you guys get the accents over the letters? I do not have them on Netscape.

Foodie, A little known manipulation by big Bill G in all of his windows applications is that any machine sold in Penn, Mass., N.Y., Conn., N. H. , Conn., or Maine will not be equipped with the marvelous lil` accent marks. Their speech is so stilted that no other implementation of artificial nuances will be needed. As we say in Shawnee..You`se guys are talkin` a hole diffrent language. Winoweenie

- noitall - 07-20-2000

wionweenie & foodie I think I getting closer to my answer. My wife was searching and found a wine called Chateau Gramboy Monbazilliac. It was listed as a Bergerac from France. Have either of you heard of it. Can you tell me anything about it? What is a bergerac anyway. I've checked the wine glossaries and I can't find it anywhere.

- Drew - 07-20-2000

Noitall, you've heard of Cyrano de Bergerac, no!? He spread his love around the town/region of Bergerac in the southwest part of France, east of Bordeaux. The Château de Montbazillac is a fortress/palace that is quite an attraction which was built during the Hundred years war. The town of Bergerac is a port on the Dordogne river. The wine appellation of Montbazillac produces fine sweet wines, I've read, but I'm still at a loss trying to ID your wine.

Drew

- Thomas - 07-21-2000

Nothing to add to Drew's comments, except--impressive! Bergeracs are fine wines too, but I prefer Barsacs.

WW, I use a Mac, so BG's shenannigans don't always get to me. Windows SUCKS!

- noitall - 07-21-2000

Drew, Thanks so much for the information. It was very helpful and educational. Slowly, but surely I'm putting all the pieces of the puzzle together. Once we've indetified it, the search to purchase it will begin. It will not be any easy task here in Pennsylvania. Thanks again.

- mrdutton - 08-09-2000

Okay Drew, spill the beans. How did you squeeze that ^ o'er the "a" in Chateau?

My keyboard does not have those letters.....

- Catch 22 - 08-09-2000

Mr D,
It's eâsy if you know where to find thât stuff. Click on Stârt,then Progrâms, then Âccessories, then System Tools, ând finâlly Chârâcter Mâp (This is for Windows 98). Âs you pâss the cursor over â chârâcter, the proper code will be displâyed on the lower right hând portion. Thât pârticulâr one is Âlt + 0226. Just hold down the Âlt key ând punch 0226 ând it will mâgically âppeâr. Sorry, Drew, the secrets out!

- chittychattykathy - 08-09-2000

If you had a MAC * you could just change your little flag thats on the top of the screen to which ever lang. you wanted to type! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] § ÖÄ é à ù Á * ç and so forth...

- mrdutton - 08-10-2000

Oopppppsssss!!! (sheepish grin)

Thanks Catch22. I'd forgotten all about that character map business. Not like I use it every day, that is for sure!

Appreciate the reminder!!

- Garbo - 08-15-2000

I know this sounds kind of, well, obvious, but have you tried calling the restaurant? I'm sure if you gave them the date you were there they'd be able to point you in the right direction. Or use the concierge at the hotel where you stayed...most of them have relationships with the better restaurants...