WineBoard
Port ? - storage, foods to go with it? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Port ? - storage, foods to go with it? (/thread-16869.html)

- lizardbrains - 11-21-2004

I did a search on here and found many ideas on the subejct of storing port after opening, but the topics were a bit old (from a few years ago), so I thought I'd just throw it out there again to see what advice you have for me.

If I open a bottle of port, I know I'm not going to be able to finish it in a week or so. I'll need to store it for a bit.

I assume I should use the nitrogen squirter thing? Private Preserve? I guess I gotta go find one.

And I gleaned that I should stick it in the fridge, too. Is that so?

Any other tips? Any idea how long I can make that baby last?

Also, while I'm at it, what foods go well with port? Since I'm going to want to consume this bottle (albeit slowly), I probably will want to pair it with some appropriate foods. Any suggestions?

Thanks!,
Elizabeth
P.S. I know you're going to ask me "vintage" or "tawny". I'm not sure what those mean (I'm a little rusty on my wine vocab). It doesn't have a vintage year on it. The bottle says it's made of 85% Zin, 10% Alicante Bouschet, and 5% Malbec. "This blend reflects opulent ripe berry fruit and nutty aromas, along with a warm silky finish; character that only these styles of wine possess."

- hotwine - 11-21-2004

See if the label includes residual sugar (RS) content. That would indicate the level of sweetness you could expect from it.
Also check the alcohol content; if it's more than 15%, it might be a fortified wine (with additional alcohol added before bottling).

In general, a port-style wine is appropriate to accompany dessert... something like cheesecake, ice cream with a sweet berry sauce, chocolate cake, that sort of thing. I like a ruby port (from Portugal) with small chunks of dark chocolate.

The blend you cite suggests a wine from Southern Cal... is that accurate?

For storage after opening, I close it with a VacuVin (loud snikering from others on the board) and stick it in the fridge. It might last 10-14 days that way before turning up its toes.

- winoweenie - 11-21-2004

LB don't listen to Hotsie. Use the Private Preserve and store as you describe. The Vacu-Vin is a bout as useless as a snowball in Phoenix. WW

- Thomas - 11-21-2004

LB, as hotwine alluded to, what you have there is not Port, but a wine made in a port-like manner. That makes it difficult, for me, to evaluate as a port, since I have no idea what it tastes like, or is supposed to taste like.

Hotwine took a shot at it when he suggested desserts (they should work). But real Port pairs with a variety of cheeses, nuts, even chocolates, depending upon the style of Port.

As for the vacu-vin--I don't snicker at that, I sneer...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-21-2004).]

- lizardbrains - 11-21-2004

WW, don't worry, I bought the Preserve stuff today! ;-)

And, it's funny you jest about a snowball in AZ... I live in the higher desert, here in Temecula, CA, and we actually got SNOW this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently it only happens once every 5-7 years here! My neighbor called me at 7:30am (yawn) to tell me, so of course I went outside and took pictures!

Anyways, yes, the port is from here in Temecula (Southern CA). I can't find the resid. sugar in the port - it's not on the bottle, nor on their website. But it's 18% alcohol.

-Elizabeth :-)