WineBoard
I need help!! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I need help!! (/thread-16854.html)

- JH - 09-20-2000

I have to admit, I know absolutely nothing about wine! And that is my problem. I am planning my wedding and have been given a very large assortment of wines to serve and I need to choose my selection out of this very large assortment, and I don't know where to begin. I know chardonnay is white wine and I know merlot and cabernet is red, but some of the others, I have no clue on. I don't want to serve every type, but a good assortment to select from between chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, pinot gris, cabernet, merlot and pinot noir. Any suggestions on which ones would make the best assortment? Thanks!! I'm sure my guests will thank you too!

- Innkeeper - 09-20-2000

Hi JH and welcome to the Wine Board. You are in good luck. Wine & Spirits Magazine has a special editon on the newstands right now entitled "Guide To Understanding Wine." The vehicle they use to guide you through the publication is planning for a wedding. To shorten your learning curve, they concluded that chardonnay and Australian Shiraz were the most easily accepted by the masses. They make another point which you left out. Don't forget the bubbly. As a matter of fact they recommend for an affair involving 100 people you need three cases of still wine (half red, half white) and two cases of bubbly.

You did not mention price points, so just guessing here are a couple of recommendations in the $10.00 range. For the chardonnay: Cave De Lugny, Macon Lugny, Chardonnay, "Les Charmes." For shiraz: Wyndham Estate Shiraz, Bin 555. For bubbly: Chandon Brut Classic, Methode Traditionnelle, California.

- JH - 09-20-2000

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely check out that magazine and I appreciate your recommendations! Any time I need advice, I know where to come!

- Innkeeper - 09-20-2000

One thing we forgot to mention is that the folks we know drink a little more than the folks W&S know. Would go with another case of still wine, making it two red, two white, and two bubbly. Whole cases are easier to order too.

- Jackie - 09-20-2000

Dear JH,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Are you planning a sit down dinner or buffet? It would be helpful to know what you are planning to offer by way of appetizers, main course, etc.

BTW, who offered you this "very large assortment" of wines... is it a caterer or hotel? Someone should be advising you based on your menu, I would think.

Let us know your specifics, and maybe we can offer even better suggestions than the WS magazine..... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Jackie

- JH - 09-20-2000

Thanks for the congrats!!

I actually am having a sit down dinner, consisting of your basic salad/soup and the entree will be a combination of a petit filet mignon and fillet of salmon in a cream sauce accompanied by grilled vegetables and garlic mashed potatoes. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

And, when I said assortment of wines, it's like an 8 page list of choices under the various types, which mean absolutely nothing to me. The reception is at a hotel, so the food and bar is being provided by them. I actually hadn't asked the catering manager yet - that probably would have been a good idea, huh? See, that's how clueless I am!! Although Innkeeper's suggestions did get me started in the right direction.

- Innkeeper - 09-20-2000

Thanks for the support JH, but Jackie was right about the sit down. Was making a lot of assumptions (yes gang, I know what that means!) including a generic buffet. The W&S edition's main mission was to educate people about a wide variety of wines, and they did a great job. Was a passive supporter of the mag before they came out with this, but read it from cover to cover, sent it to a friend, and bought another and put it in protective covering. If you can't find it, they are now refering to it by the subtitle; "Guide To Wine Style." You can get it by calling 888-695-4660. For $5.00 plus $1.50 S&H you can get it, and we know of no better economical souce of great knowledge for novices or geeks.

- Garbo - 09-21-2000

Just an aside not directly related to specific wine but based on wedding experience -- if you are having an open (liquor) bar in addition to the wine, you may not need quite as much wine unless you know your guests to be big wine drinkers. Also, if you are doing a formal champagne toast, where everyone is given a glass automatically, you may need more champagne. Check with your caterer/hotel to find out if you have to keep any leftovers, or if they "buy" them back. We had to buy all of ours, and wound up with two cases of champagne and a case of white left over. The good news is, the white was a french 95 Chardonnay that's better now than when we first served it, and the champagne was useful for gifts. Always better to have too much than not enough, I say. Also, if you are persnickity about financial matters, you may want to insist on a bottle count at the end of the night (have a trusted friend or relative be responsible) so you don't get overcharged and so you (or your designated person or wedding coordinator) will be able to take home any leftovers (if that is what you agree to). And when deciding on which wines, if price is a factor you may want to comparison shop and see what the markup is -- you may be able to negotiate a better price. Most places are scrupulous and above-board, but ya never know...

- JH - 09-22-2000

Thanks Innkeeper and Garbo for the additional assistance. I think I'm heading in the right direction, where I wouldn't be without your help!!

- Thomas - 09-24-2000

I know I always come off the pedantic one, but if I were in the business of selling wine and food to weddings and other parties, I would serve you a sample of the food choices, plus a sample of the wine choices, and then have you decide the menu and wines.

Maybe you can persuade the catering facility to do something so simple and yet so valuable.

- Jackie - 09-24-2000

Foodie,

Right On!!

Jackie

- JH - 09-25-2000

That would be a great idea, except for the fact that my wedding is in Breckenridge, CO and I live in Tampa, FL. I will be there for the entire week prior to the wedding, but that really wouldn't be enough time to do a tasting and make those decisions, so I kind of have to wing it, so to speak. Otherwise, I agree with you, that would be the best way to go. I'm hoping between your suggestions and the advice of the catering people, I will make a good decision.

- winoweenie - 09-26-2000

Sorry JH about the lateness but, Welcome to the baoard, Congrats, and Condolences. You`ve gotten some super advice from the team, but I`ll throw one more thing at you. You have one of the great cellars(Restaurants) in the world in your hometown........Bern`s Steak House. I`m sure that if you called their sommeillier he`d be happy to guide you on your marriage wines. This jernts` forgot more about wine than most will ever know. We just got back from Vail. It be Bootiful this time of year. My Best. winoweenie

- JH - 09-27-2000

Hi Winoweenie!! Thanks for the tip - I completely forgot about Bern's!! And you're right, that is an awesome place very close by. I will have to give them a call. Hope you had a great trip to Vail - it's definitely a bootiful place to be!!!