WineBoard
How about the temperature - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: How about the temperature (/thread-16785.html)

- Facundo - 03-20-2003

I think I have a big problem, but maybe not... I really don´t know...
Is so important to drink the wine in the exact temperature? How can I put wines in the right temperature?
Thanks!!!

- Innkeeper - 03-20-2003

Hi Facundo, and welcome to the Wine Board. There is not even agreement about what temperatures to drink wine at, much less a rule about exact temperatures. What follows is complicated by the fact that I measure temps in degrees F and you do it degrees C. Generally medium and full bodied reds should be drunk at "cellar" temperature. This is usally five or ten degrees below "living room" temperature. For light reds go down another five degrees. For must whites and rose's go down another five; and for sparklers and dessert wines go down another ten.

Have a thermometer in the room the wine is stored in. You can lower temps in a refrigerator at the rate of approximately one degree per ten minutes. In a bucket filled with ice and then water, you can lower temps at ten times that rate or ten degrees in ten minutes.

- Meijokahn - 03-20-2003

I just want to drink wine cold... Room temperater liquids aren't that good, and warm to hot ones make me want to pour ice down my shirt... o.O Cold... So, even if there WERE rules on what temperature to drink wine, why wouldn't you want to drink it at the temp you like?

- Kcwhippet - 03-20-2003

Because drinking a wine colder than recommended will dramatically alter its flavor characteristics. For instance, if you chill a white wine too cold, the flavors will shut down and the wine will taste flat and acidic with the alcohol making a stronger impact in your mouth.

- Facundo - 03-21-2003

Ok... I must to put wine in the refrigerator, 1 grade degree every ten minutes and check the temperature with a thermometrer, but.. to check the temperature I must to "open the wine", if maybe needs more cold, is any problem to put again in the refrigerator the open bottle??? And if the cold is more than the right... I think this little things take some time to do it well, no? but the temperature is very important.
And... must I open the bottle some minutes before drinking time???

- Innkeeper - 03-21-2003

The only temperature you have to take is the ambient (room) temperature where the wine is stored or is sitting in after coming home from the store. Then open it or chill it according to the approximate rates we have provided. Then go with what you have without anymore temperature taking. If it is too cool or too warm for you, make adjustments with the next bottle. Keep in mind that this is an inexact procedure.

I keep all my wine in an enviroment that stays around 65 degrees F. The reds go straight to the table or decanter. The whites and rose' table wine go into the refrigerator for an hour or so before dinner. Nothing more precise than that.