WineBoard
Differences in wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Differences in wines (/thread-16753.html)

- Harlequin - 08-11-2004

Posting this message proves that I am a complete novice. I wanted to know if anyone could tell me or tell me where I could find out the differences in wines. What I mean is what makes a wine a Merlot or a Cabernet Sauvignon or a Chardonnay? How does the name/type of a wine make it different than others? Is it location or taste or type of soil or region or is it all just a name? PLease excuse my ignorance but I would really like to know.

- bigredwines - 08-11-2004

HARLEQUIN, WELCOME TO THE WINE BOARD. I HAVE BEEN ENJOYING WINES FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS. ONE OF THE BOOKS THAT HAS BEEN MOST HELPFUL TO ME IS WINE FOR DUMMIES WRITEN BY ED MCCARTY AND MARY EWING -MULLIGAN.THIS BOOK IS EASY TO UNDERSTAND AND WILL REALLY GIVE YOU BASIC 101 OF WINES.IT ALWAYS HELPS IF YOU CAN FIND A FRIEND THAT HAS A PASSION FOR AND ENJOYS COLLECTING WINES.ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS AND TASTE,TASTE,TASTE!

- Thomas - 08-12-2004

What bigredwines is saying (in upper case bigred? hard to read) is that your questions are not small; they encompass many intricate details about wine that cannot be easily answered in an online forum.

One thing you should know: Merlot, Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon are the names of grapes.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-12-2004).]

- bigredwines - 08-12-2004

Foodie,sorry about the caps lock key .Typing and spelin have never been a strong points of mine.

- Kcwhippet - 08-12-2004

Is that something that the denizens of Phoenix have in common?

- winoweenie - 08-12-2004

I resemble that remarkable. WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 08-12-2004

KC, isn't that spelled "feenix?"

- Kcwhippet - 08-12-2004

Only if someone from Phoenix is doing the typing.

- Innkeeper - 08-12-2004

Hi Harlequin, and welcome. If can't read BRW's post it recommends Wine for Dummies which is an excellent primer. Another less expensive and even easier to read primer is available right here on this site in our store. It is called "101 Essential Tips: Wine" by Tom Stevenson. Tom is an occasional participant on this board as well.

- Grapeseed - 08-27-2004

Like Winoweenie, I live in Pheenixks. And I can spell it two.

- winoweenie - 08-27-2004

Hi there GS and a belated velchomme to the board. Did you attened my tipin 101 class at Sportsmans? WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Harlequin - 09-15-2004

Thanks for the info. I tried the whole tasting thing i think i have decided that Pinot Grigio is not to my liking.

- Innkeeper - 09-15-2004

What did you find that you liked?

- Zinner - 09-17-2004

Hi Harlequin,

Chardonnay, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon are names of grapes and as you taste more wines, you'll become more familiar with the flavor profiles of these wines. It's pretty much like Granny Smith and Golden Delicious are the names of apples and when you taste them you learn the difference.

What confuses consumers sometimes is that in France, where the names you mentioned come from, they are more likely to put the name of the place on the bottle....Burgundy for example. Then folks who are acquainted with these wines know that if it's red, it's the Pinot Noir grape and if it's white, it's Chardonnay because those are the grapes grown there.

There are some good books recommended on here by the others and when you're starting out you might get some wines from different grape varieties and read and taste.
Also I'm betting that some wine stores in your area have tastings. Often these are cheap or free because they hope you'll find some wine you like and buy it--this is a good economical way to explore wines.

It may seem complicated at first, but very quickly you'll learn when you begin to experience the different varietals for yourself. Also it's a heck of a lot of fun.

- Harlequin - 09-17-2004

SO far i know i like white Zinfandel, Sangria, some merlots, chardonnay, and a chablis. Still im saving up for the wines that are older and more , um, dignified iguess would be the term to make a definite decision.

- Zinner - 09-18-2004

Well, don't sell yourself short. If you've tried those wines, you are getting an idea of what's out there. Good for you.

Perhaps you would like to know that not all wine is meant to age. Quite a lot is meant to be drunk up young. Like some people, as some wines age, they develop more complexity, character and yes, one might say dignity. But like some people, other wines, as they age, tend to fade.

There are many wines that aren't expensive or older vintages, that I would consider dignified wines. Particularly so, if the winemaker has a passion for producing the best wine he or she can with the fruit they have.

I came to wine from first being a foodie, so I tend to choose wine to go with the dish...merlot with steak or grilled vegetables for example. Or white zin with Southern barbeque. I also take into consideration the occasion...is it a picnic or a formal dinner? And the weather plays a part. You probably will like lighter wines best if you're sipping them outside when the weather is hot.

Do be aware too, that the same varietal from different producers can taste quite different. Chardonnay for example is a chameleon in terms of picking up what the winemaker does with it. In stainless steel, it can be crisp with clear fruit flavors. Oak might make it more spicy or toasty or give it a vanilla flavor, depending on what kind of barrel it spends time in. And another process can make it taste of caramel.

So that's why it's best to taste for yourself. Do check with local wine shops(and some restaurants) and see what they have on offer. Here you can find a tasting most evenings of the week. Often they try to catch the crowd as they're going home from work.

Another possibility is to find some other folks who are beginning to explore wine and get together, each bringing a wine and a food(appetizer, cheese, ect.) that they want to try with it. That way you can try different wines for the cost of one bottle.