WineBoard
Chilean wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Chilean wines (/thread-16737.html)

- Ohio - 03-27-2002

My husband is going to Chile soon, and since I cannot go with him, I have made him promise to bring back several cases of wine. 1) Will import and customs be any problem? 2) We have found Chile's reds to be good, but the whites very unpredictable. So, what are some dependable varieties and labels he should look for?

Thank you for your advice in advance!

- Randy Caparoso - 03-28-2002

Yes, your husband will have some problems bringing back wine. Reports have been inconsistent, but I would not try to carry back more than a case (12 bottles). More than that would be inviting confiscation. Perhaps someone else has had experiences. I presume he would be coming through Miami or Dallas -- either way, customs people can get picky.

So just tell him to be very choosey with his wine selection, and take lots of pictures -- the wineries there are either state-of-the-art or amazingly old (as long as a century) and beautiful. Remember, they've been producing wine in Chile far longer than in the U.S. The industry dates back some 400-plus years!

If he can't get out of the capital much to visit the wineries, there are several super-deluxe wine shops in Santiago (as fine as any in the U.S.) that offer all the best and latest wines, some offering tasting samples at in-house bars.

Some of my favorite wineries to visit, who ALL make fabulous wine (more great reds than whites, as you already know):

Vina Cousino-Macul - Right there in the capital, Santiago, an incredible estate with a spectacular family garden the size of most city parks. Actual grape growing on this huge (250 hectares) estate dates back to the mid 1500s! Their huge, historic working winery and cellar was constructed in the 1870s. The wines are very fine, very much in keeping with the current Chilean flair for hip, cool cosmopolitan fashion (just check out the nightclubs and people in Santiago for proof!) and world class sensibility. In particular, their "Finis Terrae" (Cabernet/Merlot blend), made from their oldest vines (50-60 years) and is pure vinous pleasure.

Vina Almaviva - In the southern suburbs of Santiago is an ultra, ultra modern winery built by Baron Philippe de Rothschild in joint partnership with the venerable Concha y Toro. Pricey, but world class wine (Cabernet based), as you would expect with some of the finest oenologists (from Bordeaux) working with Chilean fruit. The winery is literally a work of art -- incredible woodwork and multi-media textures; and there are statues as beautiful as David standing in the middle of the chai (an expansive, Bordeaux style barrel room), with cathedral wall-sized windows that open dramatically to a vast expanse of vineyards and the breathtaking Andes in the background. A visitor simply would never forget this, ever.

Vina Santa Rita -- The vineyards and estate (complete with another Central Park sized family garden and private "cathedral") in this commune south of Santiago (Buin) date back to 1880, but the winery and winemaking itself completely modern and technologically advanced. Fabulous Merlots, Cabernets and Carmeneres (especially the Reservas), and getting better and better with every vintage. This would be another memorable visit.

Vina Errazuriz - Across the road from Almaviva, another venerable estate (in Macul, southeast of Santiago) dating back to the 19th century, but completely modern in its winemaking. Recently, with advisory of Tim Mondavi of Robert Mondavi, they've been making spectacular wines Cabernet based wines, and also a world class Syrah.

Veramonte - There's a bit of a drive from Santiago to Casablanca Valley, but it's worth it to see this gymnasium sized winery and its vast expanse of smartly trellised vineyards. This is one winery that makes whites (Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc) just as good as reds (incredible Merlot and a Carmenere/Cabernet bottled as "Primus"), and for great prices, too! This is the brainchild of Chilean native Agustin Huneeus, the hard driving genius behind Quintessa, Estancia, and Franciscan in California. His return after Chile's tragically violent years has been triumphant, and the beautiful, spectacular Veramonte is a living tribute to that.

That's it... my memory is sputtering from overload. Please have your husband check with travel agents to arrange visits, where possible. Hope he has fun!

[This message has been edited by Randy Caparoso (edited 03-27-2002).]

- oinofilos - 03-28-2002

I would like to know if the wine Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot from Vina Tarapaca (chilean winery) is considerable.
thank you

- vinman - 03-29-2002

Good question!

have found the wine when served to guests only average. I guess a simple alternate choice could be a Cab/Merlot from Concho y Toro, even the "Fronterra", inexpensive yet very drinkable and available everywhere. Sometimes hard to find Canepa makes a decent blend of Cabernet and Malbec which tastes similar to what you are suggesting for about $6.00!