WineBoard
Nice Chardonnay without a bitter aftertaste? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Nice Chardonnay without a bitter aftertaste? (/thread-16736.html)

- earmouse - 12-14-2003

I don't drink wine very often, so when I do most of the wines I have have a bitter aftertaste. My wife claims to have had a chardonnay once that had a nice taste.

Does anyone know a nice Chardonnay (or other white white) with a light aftertaste? And where to get it? I like to shop at places like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Albertson's, and Smith's.

- Kcwhippet - 12-14-2003

Welcome to the Board, earmouse. You might want to try a Kendall Jackson Vintners Reserve Chardonnay, and you should be able to find it everywhere except Trader Joe's. It's made with a bit of sweetness that might just be what you're looking for. After awhile you could graduate to a few other Chardonnays from some other wineries. It would be hard to guess which Chard your wife might have had. There are probably about a thousand Chardonnays made in California alone every year.

- earmouse - 12-15-2003

Thanks KC. I'll try it.

- John Moore - 12-26-2003

Earmouse, try a chardonnay by Lawson Ranch winery in Monteray, California.
I absolutely love this extremely flavorful chard. It is full of flavor without ANY bitter aftertaste. Full of tropical fruit with a very distinctive taste of mangoes and a finish with hints of coconut.
This will run you about $8(trust me you'll want this by the case. If you cannot find it locally call the winery(they have a website)they can ship to NV.

- Kcwhippet - 12-26-2003

Why in the world would someone want to ship an $8 wine? That would turn it into a $10 to $12 wine and there are hundreds of those out there without shipping.

- Drew - 12-26-2003

Would also recommend the Australian Madfish Chard. No bitterness their either.

Drew

- Brom - 12-26-2003

Try Rieslings from the US or Germany.

They are widely availble.

From the US they are often a bit sweet. From Germany they come in a whole range from green apple tartness to dessert sweet.

In the opinions of most, Rieslings and Chardonnays fight it out as to which are the finest white wines in the world.

- Thomas - 12-26-2003

In my opinion--which of course goes against most--Riesling wins, without even a fight.

Too bad you can't get Finger Lakes Rieslings. Contrary to the "sweet' comment above, regarding American Rieslings, Finger Lakes ones are produced in all styles--including sparkling, and they are second to no none.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 12-26-2003).]

- John Moore - 12-30-2003

All I'm saying is that the Lawson Ranch Chard is extremely unique in flavor and probably the best chard I've ever tasted(have tasted many in my line of work)under ten bucks AND most definitely worth a try.
I think it will have our new member earmouse saying "Kendall who?"

[This message has been edited by John Moore (edited 12-29-2003).]

- Kcwhippet - 12-30-2003

And all I'm sying, John, is why would someone who drinks wine infrequently and who's probably looking for a few recs for Chard and would most likely buy a single bottle at a time want to get an $8 wine shipped?

- John Moore - 12-30-2003

Kcwhippet, I do stand corrected. I'll give you this one.