WineBoard
"Fishy" smell?? And some questions - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: "Fishy" smell?? And some questions (/thread-16667.html)

- lcwatewine - 03-20-2006

Hi, I'm new to this board and pretty new to drinking wine. I've been trying lots of different wines over the last few months and so far like Pinot Grigio, Souvignon Blanc, Beaujolais, and Cabernet Sauvignon. I've never tried Merlot but have bottle of Castle Rock Merlot. I like their Cab and SB but noticed a fishy smell in the SB. I also noticed the same smell in a bottle of very cheap red wine a friend brought over. It's a chilean wine by CONCHAyTORO. Not sure if its called Frontera or Carmenere but its red, tastes weak and just not very good. It has the same fishy sort of smell like the Castle Rock SB but the difference is, I like the taste of the Castle Rock SB, it has a nice peachy/citrus flavor to it. But, what is this smell? Has anyone ever experienced it? Is it just the smell of poor quality wine? Most people I've heard say Castle Rock is a good winery and I really like their Cabernet and the taste of the SB, just don't like the fishy smell. Am I crazy?

Also, how do I recognize the various tastes, like "oak", the berries, etc. I can pick up a general fruity taste to red wines, but its' difficult to descern between blackberries and rasberries, for example. Does this just come with time? So far, if I'm descrbing the tastes correctly, I like rich flavored wines that do not taste too terribly sour (dry?) or too sweet. I guess I prefer dry over sweet though. I like some white wines but tend to prefer the reds so far. Any suggestions on which types/brands for a novice to sample? I tried a Beaujolais-Villages by B&J at the suggestion of a friend and really liked it. Then I bought a bottle of cru beaujolais called Flourie. I liked it too but not really more than the other one. Anyway, I'm rambling, sorry! Thanks in advance for any help.

- Innkeeper - 03-20-2006

Hi Icwatewine and welcome to the Wine Board. Castle Rock is a solid QPR producer. If the wine had a cork in it instead of another type of closure, the SB might have corked. That smell is like wet newspapers. SB frequently has a grassy aroma. Neither of those sounds fishy though, so am not sure what the problem is.

Frontera is the journeyman line from Concha-y-Toro, and Carmenere is a Merlot like red, at least in the inexpensive bottlings. The aroma I don't like in a lot of Chilian reds is green peppers. That doesn't sound fishy either.

So far, except for the fish, you seem to be doing pretty good with your selections. Try the Castle Rock Merlot, and get back with us.

Don't worry about correctly identifying specific aromas or tastes. Just call them as you smell/taste them.

- brappy - 03-20-2006

And to answer the other question, yes. Time, and a lot of tasting/drinking is needed. Also taste/drink many different styles/varietals/regions of wines. Sounds to me, as well, your on the right path.

mark

- lcwatewine - 03-21-2006

Thanks for the responses. One thing I tried last night, after reading from this site, was chilling the Flourie (sp??). It really makes a difference when it's slightly chilled. It doesn't taste so much like rubbing alcohol I noticed. Maybe I've been drinking my reds too warm since I store them in the kitchen, away from the stove, but still! I'm going to try to chill them in the fridge for an hour or so before drinking. I'm still not sure of my senses with wine, I'm just going to experiment with a lot of different ones and see what I like. Next trip to the store I'll definitely check out this site and make a list before I go. I've got 4 bottles here so it may take a while to finish them but I'll work on it [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] ! Tonight I'm going to try the Castle Rock Merlot. It will be my first Merlot so we'll see!! I now get what all the fuss is over wine. It's not just drinking it but trying new ones, learning how to fine tune your senses, the sensory experience, etc. All that! It's great, I wish I would've hopped on the wine train a long time ago. Now my mother can finally be proud of me...although I still am not ready to try her fav, Chardonnay. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- wondersofwine - 03-21-2006

The Beaujolais Cru is spelled Fleurie--it's one of my favorites and often has the flowery smell that the name suggests (Fleur is the French word "flower"). I think most Beaujolais wine benefits from a little chilling (maybe not a serious older Morgon or Moulin-a-Vent). The majority of red wine is supposed to be served at temperatures somewhat lower than we normally heat our homes. If you have the thermostat at 72 degrees Fahrenheit or thereabouts, you should probably put the bottle of red wine in the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes before dinner and then let it gradually warm on the table or decanted.
Have fun with your exploration of the world of wine. It's a great hobby!