WineBoard
shipping - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: shipping (/thread-16645.html)

- Slammer - 01-30-2004

Any opinions on how mail order shipping would affect wine? Given this winter's severe cold - would a bottle suffer if it was shipped under such conditions?

- sedhed - 01-30-2004

I'm for direct shipping but I have concerns about the product being delivered in good shape without having to go through the hassle of returning damaged wine.
If my state approves direct shipping I'm going through local retailers I trust and have been dealing with over the years and pay them a fair price above the the cost the winery charges to order for me.
My main complaint against prohibition of direct shipping is the inability to order wines that are not available from local wine shops. I'm willing to pay extra to be able to order those wines.
P.S. welcome aboard.
I was refering to U.S. wineries mostly.
[This message has been edited by sedhed (edited 01-30-2004).]

[This message has been edited by sedhed (edited 01-30-2004).]

- Slammer - 01-30-2004

Thanks

By "direct shipping" do you mean directly from the winery? How about wines that are imported? Also - if you order a wine to be shipped and aren't planning on drinking it right away - how do you know if it's damaged to return it? I used to live in NYC and now I live in Ohio - where I find decent selection hard to find and prices not that great - would shipping from a reputable retailer in NYC be OK??

- wondersofwine - 01-30-2004

Wine holds up to cold better than to heat. However, if the wine does actually freeze, it may displace the cork or break the bottle. If the cork is pushed up, one can thaw the wine and drink up. The flavor may not be damaged by the cold exposure. (However, if it was a Brunello you planned to age for fifteen years you would be out of luck.) As long as the bottles don't freeze, it should be okay.

- Thomas - 01-30-2004

Shipping in this weather is problematic: always have the wine shipped on a Monday so that it does not spend time in a cold shipping warehouse over a weekend.

- Innkeeper - 01-30-2004

Living in the North Country gives me lots of opportunity to test shipping. At this time of year you do run the risk of freezing. I just had my first bad, but not really bad experience. Had a winery ship a case behind us after a trip to CA. It was dutifully shipped the following Monday. Of course that was our week of sub-zero temperature. When it arrived, there was one bottle in a corner of the case with a raised cork and leakage in the container. It was not frozen and we immediately went out and got something to eat with it and had it for dinner. Sure it could have improved with a little shipping rest, and possibly a little time in the rack, but it was fine. Fortunately it was not one requiring lengthy aging. That would have been a big problem.

Speaking of shipping rest, that is an issue we haven't kicked around here for a while. Wine does improve from resting after shipment. This includes all from a cross country or cross ocean shipment, right down to a trip home from the local store. Depending on the length of shipment I usually let wine rest anywhere from a day to two weeks.

- Punkoz - 01-30-2004

What temperature does wine freeze?

- Innkeeper - 01-30-2004

Depends on how much alcohol is in it. The ole standard 12.5% freezes at around 25 degrees F.

- buradayam - 02-17-2004

I recently had an order from Pops delayed cuz they refused to ship til it got warmer. That was about 4 weeks ago. Got it last week in fine shape.

KC, am interested in getting some CA wine...Paso Robles, and WA wine, Walla Walla but find no one to ship. Have tried direct, but they wont ship to an individual. Any help?

BTW, with shipping costs, the wine from Pops was less than locally

- Kcwhippet - 02-18-2004

If they won't ship, they just won't. I guess the problem is that FL is a felony state. You just have to keep asking till you find someone who does ship. Then you can go back to the ones you really want and show them how their fellow wineries are doing it. Maybe it'll work.