WineBoard
Forming a Wine Club - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Forming a Wine Club (/thread-16617.html)

- DAnna - 09-23-2004

I am forming a monthly wine club and was wondering if anybody else has done the same. Any suggestions on how to properly organize one? For example-every month a new varietal or a country of origin.
I don't want it too structured and stuffy-just relaxed with food pairing.

- Innkeeper - 09-23-2004

Hi DAnna and welcome to the Wine Board. Make it as informal as you want. Recommend you have plenty of food at your gatherings, and have no more than one bottle of wine per member. Don't mean each should drink out of one bottle, but if each brings a bottle of a designated type, all would share/taste from each other's offerings. At the end of each meeting members could pull the name of the wine for next month out of a hat.

Themes are as varied as your imagination. I like to do countries or regions, and have the wines divided up evenly by red and white. Taste whites first, and then reds starting with lighter bodied wine. It is also a good idea to have a dessert wine for each meeting.

- DAnna - 09-29-2004

Thanks! Our first meeting is in 2 weeks and we chose Portugal. I've asked everyone to bring a finger food to pair with the wine. Pulling out of a hat is a good idea, too.

- Innkeeper - 09-29-2004

That is an excellent region to start with. Table wines from Portugal are usually much more reasonable than Port. If you want a Port for a dessert wine, you might have two people go in on it.

- DAnna - 09-30-2004

My husband and I honeymooned on Madeira and developed a penchant for the stuff. I even bought a 1971 Bual and tasted some from the 1800's! While there we started a wine journal as well. Portugal is one of those regions I really hope starts to get attention-just like Argentina and Chile-because they really are producing good quality inexpensive wines.

- Kcwhippet - 09-30-2004

If they start getting too much attention, the prices will start going up. Vinho Verde is one of my favorite summertime whites. The prices are in the $6 range now, but if they suddenly became rave wines, I wouldn't want them to start getting up too much in price. Look what happened after all the ads and commercials for Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio from Italy. It now sells for about $24 a bottle.

- DAnna - 10-01-2004

its a good point but unfortunately one must go far and wide in search of portuguese wines. and i live/work in new york city!
most places have nothing to offer-others may have 2-3. im not a verde fan myself, i prefer rose in the summer. :-)

- Innkeeper - 10-01-2004

Gee, I know a place in Fall River, MA that has racks and racks of Portugese Wine!

- Kcwhippet - 10-01-2004

Fall River? ....... duh!!!

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 10-01-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 10-02-2004

More like 4 1/2 duhs!