WineBoard
good first wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: good first wine (/thread-16612.html)

Pages: 1 2

- learntodrinkwine - 05-04-2005

Could anyone tell me a good first wine to try. My wife and I want to learn to drink red wine but have never drank before. Any suggestions as to a good first wine.

[This message has been edited by learntodrinkwine (edited 05-05-2005).]

- wineguruchgo - 05-04-2005

Hello Learn,

Welcome to the wine board.

What do you normally drink? Do you drink things that are sweeter? Tart? It depends on what your preference is now.

If you are accustomed to drinking a tart drink like a gimlet then I would say start with a Merlot or Shiraz.

If you drink fruity drinks like Pina Colata then I would say start with Lambrusco or Pinot Noir.

Trust me when I say that you will want food with any wine that you drink initially. Wine is something that your palate is not used to and it will take a few sips in order for it to be comfortable with it.

I would also suggest that you put the wine in the fridge for a little while to chill it down. Much easier to drink, initially, when it's cold.

I'm sure others will have some advice for you as well.

We do like fruity drinks, Thanks

- Innkeeper - 05-04-2005

One of the fruitiest wines we've had in a long time was the Rose' d'Anjou we had last night. Slightly sweet too, but not as cloying as a White Zin (also a pinky). For real reds a great place to start is with a Beaujolais Villages. Grown not too far away in Northwestern Italy are Barbera and Dolcetto, both of which can be fruit bombs. There are many others, but that should get you started.

We don't know where you live, so if you live on the Left Coast, and would rather go that route, we may have to go back to the drawing board, or go with the Guru's ideas of Merlot, Syrah/Shiraz, or Pinot Noir. All good ideas.

We do live on the east coast and we appreciate all the help because we have no idea where to start. We are going to try the Lambrusco first and may try some of the others later.

- ReadingTeacher - 05-04-2005

I am just learning about wines. First...I must admit that it is under a doctor's suggestion that I have a glass or two each evening to aid digestion and help relax me for sleep. I am open for suggestions for something mild and perhaps fruity. I have a bottle of White Zinfandel chilling now. I am eager to learn more about this fascinating new hobby.

- Innkeeper - 05-04-2005

Hi Teach, and welcome to you to Board too. White Zin won't be of much help to you. Even though it comes from a red grape the benefits come from the skin, which is what makes a red wine red. White Zin has minimal contact with its skin. Any of the suggestions above and elsewhere on this board for red wines are good to try.

- ReadingTeacher - 05-05-2005

Thanks for the reply. I am so overwhelmed when I go to the store to buy wine. To me...it is like a book. I always have the best reads from someone who has enjoyed the book before me. I hope that someone will give me the brand/type that will make the selection at the store so much easier. Thanks again for the welcome and info.

- Innkeeper - 05-05-2005

Bogle Merlot and Old Vine Zinfandel, Rosemont Shiraz, Pepperwood Grove Pinot Noir, Reunite Lambrusco, and Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages.

- ReadingTeacher - 05-05-2005

Thanks,Innkeeper. I will take your suggestions to the store tomorrow. Thanks again for helping me!

- learntodrinkwine - 12-28-2005

I first posted back in May and followed your advice on the Lambursco, We later moved on to try the Pinot Noir, Cabernet, and Merlot, Right Now we are drinking a local wine from Duplin Winery called Carolina Red and really like it Thanks for all your help

- wondersofwine - 12-29-2005

I'm in Fayetteville. Where are you in North Carolina?

- learntodrinkwine - 12-29-2005

Close to Wilmington

- robr - 12-29-2005

Hi learnto,

What a coincidence. We are thinking of relocating to Wilmington, or near there. My wife has asthma, and the closer to the ocean she is the better she feels. We live in Central Florida now, which is 75 miles either way from the ocean, and would just move to a coastal area here, but we are getting increasingly annoyed with the rampant overdevelopment and overcrowding in this state.

So, how do you like where you live? You can communicate with me offline at thasos2003@yahoo.com if you want.

- kmb - 12-30-2005

Hi, I have never tasted real wine before and would like to try it. I tasted Arbor Mist which is suposed to be champaign I guess and I hated it. It was horrible. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try?

(Perferably white)

- robr - 12-30-2005

kmb,

Try a White Zinfandel, and then if you don't like that, try a Seagrams wine spritzer.

[This message has been edited by bernkastler (edited 12-30-2005).]

- kmb - 01-04-2006

Thanks for the tip bern, but I tried the berringers white zinfandel and I didn't like it. Maybe I just don't have the taste for wine.

- pamelah148 - 01-04-2006

InnKeeper, you mentioned an old vin Zif. What is that exactly?

- Kcwhippet - 01-04-2006

IK isn't on the board too frequently at the moment, so I'll try to answer for him. The Bogle Old Vine Zin he mentioned is made from a blend of grapes from vineyards in three different areas of California - Lodi, Amador and Fiddletown. The grapes from these vineyards are from head trained, dry farmed vines between 40 and 80 years old, hence the old vine designation.

- shewelch - 01-04-2006

I am in Raleigh NC

An easy wine to find in area stores, and also an easy to drink "starter" red is Biltmore Estate Cardinal's Crest

Go to the NC Wines section of the store
Look for Biltmore Estate on the label
Cardinal's Crest is the name