WineBoard
to Bari - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: RESOURCES AND OTHER STUFF (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-300.html)
+--- Forum: Collectibles/Auction News (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: to Bari (/thread-1660.html)

- Susan Johnson - 06-30-2002

Du yu no to spell whoo kares? Do you know to spell?
Welcome!
How To Post A Message

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! WINE BOARD
Collectibles/Auction News
the rest arent as old

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic: the rest arent as old
Susan Johnson
posted 06-28-2002 08:21
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the information. Jan is so far out in the desert right now & indeed does not have a computer (hopefully temporary). Anyway I will relay the info about dumping the wines I inquired about. Maybe they can be used for target practice. 4) 1979 NAPA VALLEY CABERNET SAUVIGNON, Oakville, Ca. 5) 1974 CHATEAU PONTET-CANET PAUILLAC, red bordeaux wine, produced in France. 6) 1967 VENDEMMIA RUFFINO chiani (?) classic, riserva ducalle. 8)1971 VENEMMIA FOLORNARI VALPOLICELLA, dry red wine produced in the cellars of Negrar Village, (Verona) Italia. Still have a few more on her list. Your honesty is appreciated. I'm not the one whose letting these bottles take up space in my house & am not offended by funny comments. Have a good day.

winoweenie
posted 06-28-2002 17:21
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well Suzie, tell your sister she's really taking up valuable space that could be used for old newspapers. It's never ceased to amaze me that people think because a wine is old it's (a) valuable and (b) memorable. 'Taint so. WW

BarryWade
posted 06-30-2002 11:31
New member here too but I think your comment to the origional post was offensive...or at least it was to me. I guess using your rply as the benchmark we should all go through our childrens bids, baby teeth and pitch them too.
A dear friend of mine who is a member of the Bordeaux Society put it best when I would ask him if a specific wine was good, his reply was simply, "If you didn't enjoy it, you've answered your own question".

Just my take,
Barry

[This message has been edited by BarryWade (edited 06-30-2002).]

All times are PT (US)
next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic

- BarryWade - 06-30-2002

Susan,

Next time I'll run spell check. Here is a thought.... DRINK ALL OF THEM, I don't care.

I'll go back inside my double wide and unscrew my Boone's Farm and watch Springer.

bARi

- winoweenie - 07-01-2002

Did I miss Sumpin?. WW

- Kcwhippet - 07-01-2002

I think we may have all missed something. Apparently Barry found something offensive in the first reply to Susan. Well, unfortunately the overwhelming majority of Jan's wines were long ago old and tired. They should have been drunk soon after release. The post pretty much told that story in the tongue in cheek inimitable style we've all come to know and appreciate. I think the reference from whomever in the Bordeaux Society was probably in reference to wines at their proper drinking age stored in near perfect conditions, not wines that went over the hill 20 or 30 years ago. We don't often (if ever) give some of those stuffy, overbearing replies you'll often see on other boards. We try to make it light and friendly here, and very few people ever take offense at what's said because most understand we are an easygoing, friendly group. So, to all who prefer to find tasting notes for a perfectly stored 1929 Ch. Lafite - you're in the wrong place.

- BarryWade - 07-01-2002

I did not disagree with the comments regarding the wine being way past their drinkability, but I thought it was a little over the edge to say "maybe she should dump them to make room and start saving newspapers" comment. I just thought that sounded kind of harsh. In referrence to my Bordeaux friend, that comment was not made for any specific vintage or type of wine...just in general. I think in the real world that it is probably more applicable to table wines (everyday drinkers) then vintage wines for the cellar or in my case under the double wide.

Well, back to Springer !

BaRi

[This message has been edited by BarryWade (edited 07-01-2002).]

- winoweenie - 07-02-2002

Hi Barry and in response..... It's normally a wise thing to do a little research before reaching a conclusion. Had you done so on any post of mine for the last 3 years you'd have found the only way I know NOT to hurt someones feelings is in the use of levity.
I was just trying in the nicest way possible to let her know her sister was harboring a bunch of nasty juice. I didn't suggest she collect old newspapers, just that they were one of many useless things that could supplant the bottles she undoubtedly was coveting. And ole' chap, iff'n you think that's over the edge then I'm sure you haven't read many of my over 3500 replies. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]WW

- Drew - 07-02-2002

I find it a shame that some new people to this board speak before they read and learn the personalities of its "vintage" members.

Drew