WineBoard
nuits-st-georges - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: nuits-st-georges (/thread-16558.html)

- iceman - 01-02-2002

Hi everyone, I recently got 6 bottles of wine as a relation gift. It is a Nuits-St-Georges, 1° Cru from 1998 "Domaine Dubois".
It says on the label it needs 7 to 10 years before drinking it. If I would drink it now, would it be a shame or is it possible that I like it now more than i would within 5 years?
Is it worth anything? I also got 6 bottles of Côtes-de-Nuits-Villages 1998 (white, same domaine. I recently opened one of them and I was not really in love with it. Does this mean that I will probably don't like the red wine either? Maybe I need to drink the red one as soon as possible? What's your opinion?
Thanks in advance and congratulations with this site.

- wondersofwine - 01-02-2002

I would say your opinion of the white wine should not affect whether you like the red wine or not. Nuits-St.-Georges is better
known as a red wine region. If it advises
seven or more years of aging, that would probably be a good idea, but try to store
the wine under cool conditions in the interim. You might open one bottle in say four or five years, and if it seems quite drinkable and enjoyable, then no need to hold off on the other bottles. I haven't been very good about storing wine for long periods but plan to invest in a proper storage unit which may encourage me to let some wines rest until their proper maturity.

- iceman - 01-03-2002

Thanks for your advice. The problem is that I don't have a cellar. I store my wine in a dark room, but the temperature varies of course from summer to winter. Does this mean the wine will not be drinkable anymore within 7 to 10 years or will the wine just be 'not at his best'?
Do you have an alternative for a wine cellar?
Thanks

- mrdutton - 01-03-2002

An alternative to a wine cellar or a wine storage unit would be the darkest, coolest corner or room in your place of abode. Try to keep the temperature as cool and as consistent as possible through the year.

If the temperature can not be maintained at around 50 - 55 F., then you must remember that warmer storage temperatures will tend to accelerate the ageing process. (But I'd not even guess at giving you a "temperature related schedule".)

I'd suggest you try one bottle now and then lay down the rest as best as you can. You might try to find a local concern that will store it for you.

As for the cost of the wine, you can use this web-site to help you research that information:

www.wine-searcher.com

Hope some of this helps you.

- iceman - 01-04-2002

THANKS.

I'll try one very soon and see what happens.

Yesterday I saw an add for a 'wine closet'. It keeps up to 130 bottles at the right temperature and humidity. It costs 500 EUR.
Is this a good solution or a waste of money?

- Innkeeper - 01-04-2002

If you are serious about wine, absolutely. If it is a quality unit, it is a great buy.

- iceman - 01-04-2002

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE.

I just think it is a lot of money. I could buy some great bottles of wine for 500 euro.
But you might be right. I'm still young (29) and over the years it will probably pay off.

great forum!