WineBoard
I Know I Could Do Better, But . . . - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: I Know I Could Do Better, But . . . (/thread-16522.html)

- herroyalhighness - 03-04-2002

I realize the wine I am buying is fairly cheap (about $8) a bottle, but I like it. It's a sweet wine -- Sutter Home Moscato. I'd just like to know that it isn't in the same class as Arbor Mist. I wouldn't quit drinking it, UNLESS I could find a wine that tasted better. I've seen the recommendations regarding Beaujolais, and I will look for one. I would like to know if I can do better than the Moscato. I tried finding a red dessert wine, but have had no success so far. I will try the Beaujolais while I await forthcoming suggestions. Thanks for the help.

[This message has been edited by herroyalhighness (edited 03-04-2002).]

- Duane Meissner - 03-04-2002

HRH-
To find a dessert wine, you would have to get out of the grociery store, and find a liquor or wine shop. Almost all should have at least a few selections (they do in Texas). Most come in half-bottles.
If you must shop at a grociery store, look for a German Riesling (a white wine) that has "spatlese" on the bottle. You would probably like it.
I'm afraid I don't know anything about your Moscato.
DM

- lizardbrains - 03-05-2002

I think I got a cavity when I tried the Sutter Home Moscato!!!

I am pretty economical, and I like Sutter Home. It's not like Arbor Mist. I don't even call Arbor Mist "wine"! It's just a cheaper wine than maybe a Mondavi! There's no shame (for me!) in drinking a Sutter Home - especially when it tastes good!!!!

- herroyalhighness - 03-05-2002

So Moscato's a little TOO sweet for you, eh lizard? Well that's the sweetness I'm used to now, so it's hard to find a red wine of comparable sweetness. I suppose Sutter Home couldn't really be in the same class as Arbor Mist. Sutter Home is all wine and tastes great, without the help of added fruit juices.

- herroyalhighness - 03-05-2002

Duane,
Thanks for the advice. I have tried the Reislings. The grocery stores I shop at have one in a blue bottle with a blue label. One of the bottles has a diagonal red stripe. I bought one once with a diagonal green stripe and liked the Reisling, but now I'm having trouble finding it. I think I must have bought in on base at the package store. I've tried the Louis Jadot Beaujolais Villages, but it doesn't taste sweet at all. I may have to mix it with a sweeter wine to make it drinkable.

[This message has been edited by herroyalhighness (edited 03-06-2002).]

- wondersofwine - 03-05-2002

Try a grocery store lambrusco (red Italian wine often with a bubbly quality). The grocery store lambruscos tend to be sweet.

- herroyalhighness - 03-06-2002

To WondersofWine:

Thanks for your advice. I do recall Cella Lambrusco -- can't remember if I've tried before. If I have, it's been a long time, if at all. I'll look for it or other labels.

- barnesy - 03-09-2002

If you're paying 8 bucks for Sutter Home Moscato, you're overpaying. It retails here for around 4 to 5 at the very most.

Barnesy

- herroyalhighness - 03-09-2002

Barnesy,

The $8 price is for the 1.5L bottle -- does that size go for $4-$5 where you are?

- barnesy - 03-10-2002

Nope, thats for the 750ml. So 8 for 1.5 is pretty good.

Barnesy