WineBoard
anniversary wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: anniversary wine (/thread-16472.html)

- dengirl - 10-21-2003

Hi , i am new to the board . very glad to have came across it . ok , my husband and i have been married 12 years . we do not drink , other than on our anniversary last year . i wanted it to be romantic with wine , i had no idea what we liked or what what to get . so i talked to my sister who suggested i think it was chardonay , that sounds familiar anyways . all i know is it was pink and taisted like un sweet coolaid . my husband and i did not even drink it . so this year a friend of mine and i are going to go and taist wines so i can get ideas of what is out there but for now till we do that in january i wanted to see if i could get ideas of what to even try when we go to the wineries ( spelling )i think id like a sweeter wine since im new to wine and all but i know i dont like the coolaid stuff , dont like wine coolers to much . we are going to colorado in may for our anniversary and we will have a nice romantic dinner and chocolates . so any suggestions ? sorry so long and thanks

- wineguruchgo - 10-21-2003

OUCH! So much in that post!!

I will copy what you wrote and try to answer each individual statement.

You wrote:

Hi , i am new to the board . very glad to have came across it . ok , my husband and i have been married 12 years . we do not drink , other than on our anniversary last year . i wanted it to be romantic with wine , i had no idea what we liked or what what to get . so i talked to my sister who suggested i think it was chardonay , that sounds familiar anyways . all i know is it was pink and taisted like un sweet coolaid . my husband and i did not even drink it .

Ok - Pink wine is White Zinfandel, not Chardonnay. It is the Pink Wine that tastes like un-sweetened Kool-Aid. What didn't you like about it? Too sweet?

so this year a friend of mine and i are going to go and taist wines so i can get ideas of what is out there but for now till we do that in january i wanted to see if i could get ideas of what to even try when we go to the wineries ( spelling )i think id like a sweeter wine since im new to wine and all but i know i dont like the coolaid stuff , dont like wine coolers to much .

Compare the wine to soda for me. Do you like the tartness of Fresca or the sweetness of Pepsi. Besides water...what do you drink?

we are going to colorado in may for our anniversary and we will have a nice romantic dinner and chocolates

Red wine is best with Chocolate, but unless you have a seasoned pallate you are going to have trouble with it.

I feel compelled to ask. Why do you want to drink wine if you are not drinkers? Do you feel that you have to or do you have the desire to learn and appreciate it? There are many people that don't like wine and that's ok. If you are more comfortable with a mixed drink - that's ok!

I would suggest that you pick up a bottle of inexpensive sparkling wine (you and your friend) and add some Chambord (raspberry liquor) to it. It just might be what you are looking for. It's sweet, yet not Kool-aid.

I'm not asking you not to enjoy wine. Yet, if neither you or your husband has any interest in drinking, I would hate for you to remember your anniversary as that "terrible bottle of wine" that you ordered and couldn't drink!

If you are set on wine, I would buy a German Riesling (which is sweet, yet different than the pink wine) or a Riesling from Alsace which is a little drier. The people in your local liquor store can help you.

I would experiment before you celebrate your anniversary. If you don't like them, at least you know.

- dengirl - 10-21-2003

Ok - Pink wine is White Zinfandel, not Chardonnay. It is the Pink Wine that tastes like un-sweetened Kool-Aid. What didn't you like about it? Too sweet?

i think if i remember right it was just watery , not strong enough . wee could have been drinking the cool-aid maybe not sweet enough too

Compare the wine to soda for me. Do you like the tartness of Fresca or the sweetness of Pepsi. Besides water...what do you drink?
we drink code red , everyday .

I feel compelled to ask. Why do you want to drink wine if you are not drinkers?

we are not drinkers but on our anniversary , at 13 years , it will add something fun maybe a little adventure . something new to do and try , cut loose on our day alone and away from our 4 children ,lol .

If you are more comfortable with a mixed drink - that's ok!

dont think ever tryed any mixed drinks before , lol . not really interested in it . the wine just seems to be more on the romantic side ?

I would suggest that you pick up a bottle of inexpensive sparkling wine (you and your friend) and add some Chambord (raspberry liquor) to it. It just might be what you are looking for. It's sweet, yet not Kool-aid.

i think we will try that :-) see what it is .

If you are set on wine, I would buy a German Riesling (which is sweet, yet different than the pink wine) or a Riesling from Alsace which is a little drier. The people in your local liquor store can help you.

I would experiment before you celebrate your anniversary. If you don't like them, at least you know.

thanks for help .ill let you all know what we tryed and what i liked and if liked enough to bring along to colorado . lol

- dengirl - 10-21-2003

i think if i remember right it was just watery , not strong enough . wee could have been drinking the cool-aid maybe not sweet enough too

we drink code red , everyday .

I feel compelled to ask. Why do you want to drink wine if you are not drinkers?

we are not drinkers but on our anniversary , at 13 years , it will add something fun maybe a little adventure . something new to do and try , cut loose on our day alone and away from our 4 children ,lol .

If you are more comfortable with a mixed drink - that's ok!

dont think ever tryed any mixed drinks before , lol . not really interested in it . the wine just seems to be more on the romantic side ?

i think we will try that :-) see what it is .

thanks for help .ill let you all know what we tryed and what i liked and if liked enough to bring along to colorado . lol

- wineguruchgo - 10-22-2003

Yes, the pink wines can be watery.

I would try the German Rieslings if you are looking for something sweeter. They can be very elegant.

If you are looking for something fruity I would try a Sauvignon Blanc which tastes like Mangos.

Third one I would try, if you are looking for something that is a little drier is the Alsacian Rieslings.

Don't buy the sparkling wine and Chambord. I would have that in a bar. Chambord is expensive. I didn't mean to imply that you spend $30.00 on it from the store!!

Please let us know how you made out.