WineBoard
Newbie is confused...... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Newbie is confused...... (/thread-16423.html)

- TEDDI01 - 12-14-2001

I am not sure at all of the differences between the various of wines. I am sure that I would prefer a sweet one but do not know where to start. IK suggested a Beaujolais and Foodie mentioned a "dessert wine" and honestly I do not know the difference. I am open to any and all suggestions and am ready to dive right in !
Can anyone also suggest any reading materials to set me straight ??

- Drew - 12-14-2001

Hello, TEDD. "Wine for Dummies" is a good starter book as well as Robin Garr's Web site, http://www.wine-lovers-page.com/. Click on "Getting Started" if you visit his site. For specific wine recommendations and friendly service, our site is tops. BTW you can respond on the same thread by clicking on the post reply button...no need to start a new thread for each response.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 12-14-2001).]

- lizardbrains - 12-15-2001

Hi, newbie. I'm an ameteur myself, so I can't help you a whole lot, but I'll try!

Each variety of wine tastes different. Kind of like each variety of candy bar is different. Maybe you like chocolate, so you'll go for Kit Kat, or Snickers, or Baby Ruth. Maybe you don't go with Butterfinger, because it's so sweet it hurts your teeth! Or maybe you prefer the non-chocolate, so you go with Gummi Bears, or Nerds, or Gobstoppers. And maybe you don't go with the Sour Patch Kids because they are too sour.

It's the same with wine! I prefer red wine over white. I prefer the less acidic/tannic wines. But... it's taken me a while to realize this. You just have to try different wines to figure out what you do and don't like.

Certain wines fall into different categories. Dessert wine, I have found, is super sweet that you feel like you're getting a cavity. Maybe it's just my personal experience, but that convinced me not to drink a dessert wine with a normal dinner! Maybe next time I'll try dessert wine with... surprise, dessert!

My big recommendation to you is this: If you're trying to figure out what types/varieties of wine you do/don't like, try different brands of each type, because the one brand you try, may not accurately reflect that varieties character. For example, I wanted to know what White Zinfandel is like, so I got 4 different brands of it (Beringer, Sutter Home, etc. - can you tell I'm cheap?!), and tried them with some friends. So, I had a glass of the Beringer White Zin, and then a glass of the Sutter Home White Zin, etc. And I had an "AhHa!" moment! I realized, "Okay, that's what White Zin tastes like!" because I could taste the slight differences between the different brands, but I could taste the things that were the same... only then could I experiment with the different brands of White Zin, and decide which brand I liked the best, or if indeed I even liked White Zin! Kind of like tasting that a Baby Ruth and a Snickers both have peanuts and caramel, and they're both a chocolate candy, but they have slight differences, and I've decided that I like Baby Ruth better.

Okay, that's my 2 cents, to a newbie from a newbie!!!! :-)

- Lil Redhot - 12-15-2001

Lizardbrains, that was a fantastic way to illustrate the differences/similiarities of wine with the example of candy bars which we all can relate to immediately!
I have done what you suggested with spumante--to which Martini & Rossi is my favorite!!
I did not recognize that I had done that until I read your post! I have tried different Riunite wines also. I am interested in trying "better class" wines now or as soon as I can get directed in the right direction. But wanted you to know I thought your illustration was brilliant!
Smiles,
Lil RH

- mrdutton - 12-16-2001

Lizardbrains, that was a great post! A wonderful analogy, a super metaphor. What a great way to try to introduce someone to the world of wines.........

- TEDDI01 - 12-17-2001

Wow Lizardbrains , this really brings it all together for me !! Being new to the world of wines is so confusing at times but with people like you and the other wonderful people on the wine board it is helping me out a great deal. Thank you again for the help, I feel like I'm going to have an AHA moment really soon !! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by TEDDI01 (edited 12-17-2001).]

- winoweenie - 12-18-2001

LIZB ...It's too late to copyrite your analogy now as Buckos' probably posted it on his board, used it in 2 newsletters and will run in this weeks Seattle Times wine column.WW (hehehe)

- txkajun - 01-06-2002

WOW, LB, I only just posted my first message a couple of minutes ago, and have just purchased bottle number 3 in my new life of wines, but that was awesome! I know almost nothing, and your post gave me a lot of enlightenment. You have a gift with language and appear to enjoy sharing the gift. Thank you.