WineBoard
Vouvray? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Vouvray? (/thread-16368.html)

- cheeps - 01-26-2004

I am very new to wines. I bought a couple books, about a dozen different wines that either the books or people who know a little bit about wine recommended to me, and I'm starting to try them and see what I can learn. Anyway, I bought a bottle of Marc Bredif Vouvray, 2001. Everything I've read about Vouvray says it can be dry, semi-dry, or sweet. I haven't tried mine yet because I don't know which it is. Because of that I almost didn't buy it, but I'm curious about the taste, so I did. As much as I looked tho, I couldn't see anything amongst the various bottles to indicate what each one was. How do you tell? TIA!

Lisa

- Innkeeper - 01-26-2004

Vouvray is a Loire Valley (France) wine made from chenin blanc. Many believe that it is the finest presentation of chenin blanc in the world, though there may be some people in South Africa that would have a word or two to say about it. Vouvray is normally slightly off dry. Goes great with fish or chicken dishes with a little sweetness in the sauce. You can find some details, though nothing about the level of sweetness, about this wine at this site: http://www.mmdusa.net/NewFiles/bredif/vouvray.html

- Tastevin - 01-27-2004

Hello Cheeps.
Yes, Vouvray comes in dry (sec), medium sweet (demi-sec), sweet (moelleux), sparkling (petillant). Demi-sec is the classic style. Is there no clue on the front label, or back label (if there is one)? Otherwise, why not ask the shop? After you've drank it let us know what you thought of it. Don't forget to chill it. T

- cheeps - 01-27-2004

I'll have to check the label again when I get home, but I don't think it specified which it was. That's why I was curious how you would tell which was which - none of the labels seemed to say. I admit, I'm just learning and I may have missed something.

I bought it at a state liquor store believe it or not. I would never have thought to go to one of them for wine - I thought they were purely hard liquor only. They had an amazing wine selection tho and they're cheaper than regular retailers. They had everything from $5 bottles to ones for $350-$450 a bottle. I am going to go back with my brother in a month or so and we will split a case for an additional discount.

As I said I have a 2001 vintage. I was told I should let it age at least 5 years. Is that correct? Thanks for all your help. This board is amazing! I've learned so much already from coming here.

Lisa

- Kcwhippet - 01-27-2004

The Marc Bredif Vouvray is a sec, almost bordering on demi-sec because there's just a tiny hint of sweetness. We tried this in the shop recently and I thought it was a wonderful wine. It had a really intense nose and the palate had pear, lemon and some honey notes, with some very crisp acid. One of the best things was NO OAK, so you really got the taste of the grape brought out by the winemaker's skill. I understand the winery changed hands recently, though I don't recall who bought it. It remains to be seen if they'll maintain their style. I sure hope so because this was a really delicious wine. BTW, the distributor mentioned that this wine can age well for at least five years, and up to twenty with perfect storage.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 01-27-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 01-27-2004

Didn't know they had state liquor stores in MA. For gosh sakes, even Maine eliminated them. I would say the Vouvray would hold for five years, but not necessarily improve over that period. Drink it any time you like.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 01-27-2004).]

- Kcwhippet - 01-27-2004

IK, Bet it was the store up in Nashua.

- cheeps - 01-27-2004

Yup - it was the one in Nashua, NH. Sorry - should have clarified that in my post. I saw quite a few people in there with their copy of "Wine Spectator" Best of guide. I'm lucky in that Federal Wine & Spirits in Boston is right across the street from my train stop so I pass it every single day. I plan on going to their Wednesday evening wine tastings and hopefully will learn a lot more in the weeks to come. This week a snowstorm is predicted tho, so I'll go next week.

- Tastevin - 01-27-2004

Hello Kc.
I think it's owned by Baron Patrick de Ladoucette.
T

- Kcwhippet - 01-27-2004

That's who it is, T. Thanks for the reminder.

- cheeps - 02-02-2004

Just wanted to pop back in to mention that I opened the bottle (I just couldn't wait any longer!) and it is delicious! I can't begin to describe it other than to say it's "smooth" a touch on the sweet side, but not really sweet if that makes any sense, and it just tastes wonderful to me. I plan on buying a few different kinds and comparing them as this was my first Vouvray, so I can't really say if this particular one is indicative, but it's a winner to this novice anyway! Thanks for all your help!

Lisa