WineBoard
corks - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: corks (/thread-16263.html)

- PinotEnvy - 09-24-2004

A couple nights ago I was opening a bottle and the cork seemed rather stubborn. As I tried pulling it out it also welt structurly weak as it slowly moved. About half way out it broke off 2/3 of the way down. Does anyone have any advice on what to do when you have a cork that feels that way? Should I get one of those (I think they are called butlers) corkscrews that go on the outside of the cork?

As murphy's law also applies, I was serving it as part of a rather nice dinner I was making for a date. Trying to impress the heck out of her with my cooking skills. Figures it would happen then instead of a bottle just for personal quaffing, doesn't it?

- Innkeeper - 09-24-2004

Don't know what kind of opener you are using? Have never been able to use one of those you are talking about. We use a basic Screwpull most of the time, and waiter's pals at other times. For situations like you ran into, it is a good idea to get a decanter filter. You can get an elegant looking one for around $25. With one you could have been able to shove the cork into the bottle, and pour away. It also, and most importantly, catches sediment coming out of the bottle.

- PinotEnvy - 09-24-2004

I have 2 types. One is the cheap $1-ish ones that you pull it out of the sleeve and put the sleave through the top to form a 'T'. I also have one theat has the levers on the side the raise up as you screw in the corkscrew.

I used the better one first. Then figured the cheap one, while under normal circumstances would be worse would be more nimble to get at the broken cork. I was able to pull the rest of the cork out without it getting into the wine... I got luck there. I just knew it would be trouble when I started.

I have never tried one of those butler ones.

- Kcwhippet - 09-24-2004

Pinot,

Sounds like you may want to invest in a better corkscrew. All the winged models I've seen have what amounts to a screw, while the better ones have a helix. The screw tends to drill down through the cork without getting a real good grip, while the helix type gets a tremendous grip. IK's suggestion of a Screwpull/Leverpull is a much better choice. In fact, the first one you mentioned is better than the wing job for getting out a weak or damaged cork.

- wondersofwine - 09-24-2004

Hey, how did the food you cooked turn out?

- PinotEnvy - 09-24-2004

Thanks for the advice. I will look into corkscrews. It would have been a shame to have ruined the wine. It was the best one in my small collection. A 2001 Tori Mor (sp?) Pinot Noir. Very fruitful flavor. So far my favorite that I have had. Also, it was the first one I've ever opened that I had paid more than $14 (it was about $25). I now see why it was more. It was indeed worth it.

The food came out marvelous. She was indeed impressed. She complimented me on it throughout the evening.

I cooked a couple filet mignon steaks slowly over mesquite charcoal. They were seasoned with a combination of Lowry's seasond salt, garlic powder and italian seasonings. I made a couple sweet potatos and asparagus. Topped it all off with some home made apple crisp (thanks to mom for the recepie!) for desert. I only wish I had time to make my homemande cinimon ice cream to go with it.

- Thomas - 09-24-2004

Remember the days when she used to cook for he to win him over. Who says there is no culture war going on?

Good work, man. If I didn't do the cooking around here my wife would starve. I guess I would too...

- Innkeeper - 09-24-2004

For me that goes double.

- PinotEnvy - 09-24-2004

Both my folks cooked growing up, allbe it mom more than dad. Cooking never appeared as "womans work". Besides as a bachelor in his mid 30's if I don't cook, who would? Not to mention as a guy who can cook, that scores definate bonus points since it isn't as expected.

- winoweenie - 09-24-2004

PE a good corkscrew is invaluable . The Screwpull (any model ) IMHO is the best saviour of quirky, old, cranky, or crumbling corks. Has saved me meeny, meeny bottles. I don't like IKs' idea of pushing the cork into the wine because of the inherent bacteria, germs, mold, etc. that forms on the corks. WW

- Drew - 09-25-2004

It almost sounds like it might just have been an inferior, crumbly cork and not the cork screw. BTW, Costco has the best and cheapest rabbit type screw pull I've ever seen for under $12 and it's all metal...go get yourself a couple.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited 09-26-2004).]

- PinotEnvy - 09-25-2004

I agree Drew that the cork was probably inferior. It felt like it was going to be problematic as soon as I tried to pull it out. I guess I am looking for the best cover your backside prevent problems corkscrew to minimize problems if/when I get another back cork.