WineBoard
Calif Cab & Chard $50 & under - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Calif Cab & Chard $50 & under (/thread-16248.html)

- pacificstar - 02-06-2007

What wine would you all recommend for a party. I need a California wine & would like the same vineyard offering Cabernet and Chardonnay. $50 or under. Thanks in advance for your help.

- brappy - 02-06-2007

Sorry, too many to list....... If you give the website of the store you're shopping, Myself or others could probably help you out.

I will go to Bevmo or hitimeliquor.com. Maybe Costco.

I'm thinking:
Grgich Hills
Cakebread
Flor Springs
BV
Francisan
Pine Ridge
Miner

What would you serve to 40 people. I figure I need a case of Cabernat & a case of Chardonnay.

- brappy - 02-06-2007

OK, I looked up a couple of the sites and settled on Bevmo. The "under $50" category is still way too large. There is simply a load of great wine for that price point. So, out of the wines you listed, Miner is where I'd start. I believe they also make a viogner. Use that instead of a chardonnay. But really, I could go on and on. If you wanted to slim down your budget, to say $25 or less, then maybe I or others could get a little more specific.

FWIW, on the Bevmo site, they do have Regusci Cab '04 which is particularly great for the price. It's still $49 a bottle, but taste much more like a $75 to $100 bottle.

Good luck; maybe others will chime in tomorrow morning,

mark

- Innkeeper - 02-06-2007

Hi Pacificstar and welcome to the Wine Board. All the producers that you list make Chardonnay that tastes more like trees than grapes, but if that is what you want, I would go with Franciscan.

If you buy a case of each I can guarantee that you will run out of the red, and have a lot of white left over. This is not just my preference, but my experience with lots of entertaining. I would get a case and a half of Cab and a half case of Chardonnay.

- winoweenie - 02-06-2007

FWIW my choice would be either the Cakebread or the Flora Springs as they make great wines in both the red and white versions. WW ( By-the-by welcome to the board.)

Wow you guys are great! I love the answers they are very encouraging to me. You are so nice in welcoming me to this site. I think I've found a home to chat about wine. Nicest folks ever! Thanks!

- pacificstar - 02-07-2007

Has anyone heard of the Frank family wines? I got a very good recommendation from the guy at the wine store. The Cab is $38 and the Chard is on sale for $29 right now. The guy told me the cab will wow the people. I liked the word family in it because its a family party. Thanks for any help given.

- Innkeeper - 02-08-2007

You may want to check the alcohol level on the Cab. I've heard it being described as "hot" which is an indicator of high alchy. If it is much over 14.5% you may not want to serve too much to your guests.

- brappy - 02-09-2007

I've never tried this wine. But I wouldn't worry too much about the alc.%. If the wine has balance, then what difference does it make what the alc% is?

- Innkeeper - 02-09-2007

Bucko said it tasted hot, so I'm fairly sure it was out of balance.

- pacificstar - 02-09-2007

The Cabernet is a 2002 with 14.4% ALC. The Chardonnay is 2005 and the same ALC level.

- brappy - 02-09-2007

IK,

Did Bucko post a tasting note on this wine? I can't seem to find it. I would like to read it if you could let me know where it is.

Thanks,
mark

- Innkeeper - 02-09-2007

Here you go Mark: http://www.wineloverspage.com/bucko/bucko0206.phtml

P.S. Please see if your pusher will let you taste it. If it seems in balance to you, and you feel any heat, go with it.

- oostexan - 02-09-2007

Welcome to the board Pacificstar.

I have tasted through the Frank Family lineup a couple times, though the last time was a couple years ago. Though I do not have specific TN's, I remember the wines to be very good and high quality front to back. I was referred to the winery by a couple guys who's opinions I respect. I bought a couple bottles, but it is not one of my regular purchases. Not sure why, maybe they should be.

I buy a lot of wines in the sub-50 category that are California Cab, and some Chard. My favs are the Robert Craig Affinity and Chard, the Provenance cuvees (both Merlot and Cab), Flora Springs (everything is good), Turnbull, and good ol' Whitehall Lane.

All of the above are widely available and should have Cab, Chard, and Merlot that is consistently good.

If you want to do something different, try a Meritage blend. I had a Cloud 9 Composition and Buoncristiani OPC that were fun, fruity, and crowd pleasers. Both are good general purpose high quality wines for a large table of folks.

- pacificstar - 02-13-2007

Well, this Saturday night is the big celebration and that's when the wine will be poured but the other night my sister tried the Frank Family Chardonnay and said it was amazing, went down very smooth and she just loved it. So I'm hoping all the guests will have the same opinion. Thanks everyone for your kind help and encouragement.

- pacificstar - 02-19-2007

The party was fantastic. everyone loved the wine. I especially loved the Cabernet, it was full bodied and delicious. I'm going out and buying more.

- Innkeeper - 02-19-2007

Fantastic!