WineBoard
wine for my wedding - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: wine for my wedding (/thread-16239.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Georgie - 08-27-2009

Hi there boys and girls! We've decided to serve only wine and beer at our early afternoon reception. The caterers gave me a list from which to pick two whites and two reds. Keep in mind, that as far as I know, there are no real "wine" people coming to this shindig. So think about wines for a non-discerning crowd.
Here's the white list:

Sauv. Blanc--Sutter Home Barefoot or Luna diLuna
Chard.-Sut. Hm., Woodbridge, Barefoot, Luna or Yellow Tail
Pinot Grigio--Adagio, Cavit, Vista or Zoonin

Here's the red list
Cab-SH, Barefoot, Woodbridge, Bolla
Merlot-SH, Barefoot, Woodbridge, Bolla
Shiraz-Yellow Tail
Luna di Luna blends-Cab?Merlot
Sang/Merlot
Ruffino Chianti (blue label)

I can also order something else that's not on the list. Any thoughts on decent party wine?

- TheEngineer - 08-27-2009

First of all CONGRATS!!! That is great news. No worries on any picks whatsoever. It is your day and nothing should matter in the least from that regards!!!

Having gotten that off my chest, [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] for chooses:

Whites:

(1) Pinot Grigio Cavit is really rather popular and most people will recognize it
(2) Chardonnay (Woodbridge)

An off the list white I would recommend is a riesling (RELAX is in a nice high style blue bottle and is in the same sub $10 price range)

Red

Cab-SH, Barefoot
Ruffino Chianti (blue label)

As for a red off the list I would add Crane Cab Sauv in the Sub $5 a bottle catagory, easy drinking and something like a Luvodicus or a Las Rocas both in the $8.99 area that both rock!

enjoy your day!

- winoweenie - 08-28-2009

Congats to both of you sweet teach! Tell that lucky sucker he best not come before the " Court ob NOT bein' nice to Georgie" as they be DIRE conulquincez. XX&OOs'. WW

- hotwine - 08-28-2009

Yee-haa! Congrats, Georgie-grl! We be celebratin' with ya!

For festive wines tht won't break the bank, ask your caterer to provide an Italian Presecco and a Spanish Cava, both bubbly and fun as can be. A nice Prosecco we've had recently is the NV Botter Spago at $7.69 from Costco. And a very nice Cava made from Pinot Noir that we're guzzling by the gallon this summer is the Marques de Galida Brut Reserva, $9.99 also at Costco; it's a rose' (or rosado) in a clear bottle and looks downright luxurious in a Champagne flute.

Whatever you choose, you'll love it. Have fun!

- Thomas - 08-28-2009

Congratulations, Georgie (Girl)!

Too bad there's no Barefoot Zinfandel on the list. I've found that Barefoot Pinot Grigio and Zinfandel are outstanding buys and great food wines. I keep them around the house in 1.5 liter bottles.

I'd definitely serve Prosecco for the toast. Zardetto should do nicely.

- Innkeeper - 08-28-2009

Congrats and more congrats. As for Woodbridge, the only one we like is also their Zin. Research shows that the red crowds prefer are either Shiraz or Red Zin.

- Georgie - 08-28-2009

Thank you one and all for your suggestions and much more so for your good wishes! Wish you all could be there!

- Kcwhippet - 08-28-2009

Congrats, Georgie!!! I'll go along with the Barefoot. All of them are quite good and very well priced.

- wondersofwine - 08-31-2009

I'm happy for you and your fiance. Like the Prosecco and/or Cava idea. I wouldn't go for the Woodbridge personally. What's the date?

- Georgie - 08-31-2009

Thanks so much w.o.w. Our date is November 1, saints that we are.....

- donnaclif - 09-01-2009

My heartiest congratulations on your marriage. every bosy has suggested something or the other. as far as wines are concerned, for marriages Cabernet Sauvignon (Kenwood Vineyards‘ highly-acclaimed Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon) Syrah, or Merlot are the most preferred wines. these all have a rich and exquisite taste. if you have a higher budget then i can definitely suggest you some more wines!

[This message has been edited by team (edited 09-01-2009).]

- Kcwhippet - 09-01-2009

donnaclif,

If you read Georgie's original post, she said she's getting "wines for a non-discerning crowd." Also, she listed the caterer's wine list, which has all "budget" wines. The Kenwood Artist Series is about ten times the price of those wines, and I'd hate to see what the caterer would charge for that wine. I don't know where you are, but here in the US, the Kenwood Artist Series Cab retails for about $60. By the, where are you exactly??

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 09-01-2009).]

- wondersofwine - 09-01-2009

KC, I seem to remember one of her posts mentioning India.

- Kcwhippet - 09-01-2009

OK, guess I forgot that, WoW. Like the Weener says, the memory's the second thing to go. Still doesn't make sense recommending a $60 wine when the list is a bunch of $6 - $8 ones, especially when the gathering is mostly, if not all, non-winos.

- winoweenie - 09-01-2009

Which is why for the last eons I've suggested you barring this shill from posting. Done know what about BARRING youse done unnerstan. WW ( Just checked her profile and it confirms the reason I strongly reccommend that noone be given membership without confirming their e-mail status, their area of residence, and the rest of the status before allowing them to annoy the nice members of the board. For hecks-sake...It takes 10 years for the Kenwood to be drinkable. Lovely teach needs comfort and TLC far sooner than that. I'll wager if you check the page she was pimping this will be the featured wine.SHEESH!@!!!!!!)

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 09-01-2009).]

- winoweenie - 09-01-2009

Donna if you are capable of reading this I want to let you know that as far asI'm concerned your pimping of another site is not appreciated on this site. When you originally came on you acted like you wanted to educate us and give us direction on drinking wines of the world. I can assure you that most of us on the board have drunk more wines so far than you will ever experience in your lifetime and have forgotten ore about the gorgeous grape than you will ever be able to absorb. Now if you don't mind, please take your act somewhere else. WW [quote]Originally posted by donnaclif:
[b]My heartiest congratulations on your marriage. every bosy has suggested something or the other. as far as wines are concerned, for marriages Cabernet Sauvignon (Kenwood Vineyards‘ highly-acclaimed Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon) Syrah, or Merlot are the most preferred wines. these all have a rich and exquisite taste. if you have a higher budget then i can definitely suggest you some more wines!

[This message has been edited by team (edited 09-01-2009).][/b][/quote]

- Georgie - 09-05-2009

OK, time to make a decision. I'm going to order the Barefoot Red Zin, Shiraz and Pinot Grigio. For a second white would you go with a Chardonnay or Sauv. Blanc? I truly appreciate your help, youse guys.

- Kcwhippet - 09-05-2009

Georgie, Personally, I'd want the SB, but with a non-wino crowd I think you have to go with Chard. They would most likely want something safe and familiar.

- Georgie - 09-05-2009

Thanks, KC. That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. I, too, like SB a lot more than Chard.

- Thomas - 09-05-2009

Georgie,

If it's any consolation, Barefoot's SB is not its best wine--rather bland.

They just released a Pinot Noir, but I haven't tried it yet.