WineBoard
Pinot Grigio or.......... what else? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Pinot Grigio or.......... what else? (/thread-16177.html)

- wdonovan - 04-28-2006

We're going to dinner with 2 friends tomorrow & I volunteered to bring the wine. I was going to bring Bordeaux and Sauternes until..... I found out that 'he' drinks reds, 'she' only drinks whites, usually pinot grigio. 300 bottle cellar and here's the only whites I have. A couple Vouvrays that are markedly sweet. One Puilly Fuisse, one Jadot plain Jane white Burg. I know I had one PG for cooking but I think my wife used it for cooking. I dot-commed my store and most pinot grigios are $10 wines. I don't really want to bring junk. Three of us will be enjoying a mag of 95 Segla. What can I get for my friend's wife? Should we just force her to drink the Bordeaux (just kidding)? Seriously, what nice whites go down like a PG? I'm thinking that, since her preference is NOT Chardonnay, she does not like oaked wine. What about the Puilly Fuisse? Is that oaked? Which Burg is made in stainless steel? Chablis? Is that an option? What about a Sancerre? I'm really in trouble here. All it seems I know about white wine is that is is very effective to delaze a pan <LOL>. Please help!

- Innkeeper - 04-28-2006

Why not go with lady's preference. There are some nice PGs in the $15 range such a Ritratti and Bortoluzzi. If you really want to do something else, for a Maconnais recommend a St Veran or a Macon Village. Puilly Fuisses are usually oaked. A Sancerre would be nice too, but try to get one with age on it, say '01 or '02 (not an '03). Hope this helps.

- Kcwhippet - 04-28-2006

There are many really nice PG's out there, much better than the usual $10 suspects. I'd suggest any of the nice Alto Adiges in the $15 range - St. Michael Eppan comes to mind. Of course, you could also go with the marketing favorite overpriced Santa Margherita. As for Chards, there are many very nice unoaked ones, such as Kim Crawford Unoaked and Toad Hollow from CA.

- hotwine - 04-28-2006

If the lady likes PG, she'll love Tommasi.... only about $12. I've not had a bad one yet. Sancerre.... spotty lately in my view, except for the Rossignole; if you can find that one, grab it.

- wineguruchgo - 04-28-2006

Ok - I'm going out of your ballpark here but why not a Moschofilero? I have yet to find a PG drinker that doesn't fall in love with it.

It really doesn't matter what it costs, so long as she enjoys it.

My sister, who hates oak and is tired of PG and SB, has fallen in love with this wine.

Just a thought.

- Thomas - 04-28-2006

Guru's is a great alternative, but I doubt it will be easy to find in Bayville, NJ.

Soave might fit the bill, Tammellini, if you can get it. You should, since a NJ distributor handles it.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 04-28-2006).]

- Innkeeper - 04-28-2006

There ought to be enough Greeks in NJ that a large retailer ought to have Boutari's.