Poll/survey.....??? - Printable Version
+- WineBoard (http://wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Poll/survey.....??? (/thread-16174.html)
- culinart - 03-28-2003 05:51 PM
I am always curious so here is my question...
#1)How many bottles of wine do you drink on average per week?
#2)And how would you rate your knowledge about wine?
#3) Are you solely a wine drinker or do you indulge in other alcoholic beverages? (and how would you rate them compared to wine on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the best and most desirable to drink)
I would love to hear from the novice drinkers but the experience wine drinkers are welcome to participate in this questionnaire as well!
- dananne - 03-28-2003 06:09 PM
I drink about 4-6 bottles per week, depending upon if/how much my wife is drinking.
I would rate my knowledge of wine as pretty good, but not to the level of some of the regulars of the board. I'd like to think that I'm quite knowledgeable about certain wines, like those from Spain for example, but having pretty basic knowledge of others, such as Bordeaux or Italian wines in general.
I mainly drink wine, but also drink other alcoholic beverages. Sometimes it's nice to have a frothy Guinness or a cold Red Stripe. Some foods, and spicy chili comes to mind, just seem to work better with a nice beer. Also, I like on-the-rocks margaritas (especially when eating chips and salsa) and will occasionally have a gin & tonic or martini, depending upon the situation (and the looks of the wine list, if I'm out). Generally speaking, though, I prefer wine.
- winoweenie - 03-28-2003 06:40 PM
Being a novice wine drinker I'll refrain from posting my drinking numbers as they WILL definately , positively, absolutely
skew the results. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]
- tandkvd - 03-28-2003 06:49 PM
Sounds like dan and I could be kin folk. I enjoy trying different types of wine, although the Spanish wines are my favorate. I like a good beer on the golf course. And although my wife doesn't drink wine, we both like Margareta's with chips and salsa.
I'm taking my wife and son to the Braves opening day, March 31. So, dan do you like baseball too?
- Innkeeper - 03-28-2003 07:09 PM
#1: Seven with spouse.
#2: Fair to middlin.
#3: Like beer too; also Bloody Mary's made with light rum, and journeyman Scotch with tap water.
- dananne - 03-29-2003 08:08 AM
tandkvd-- I do like the Braves. In fact, we live close enought to Turner Field that we hit mute on the TV and open the windows to hear the crowd and see the fireworks.
- Drew - 03-29-2003 09:09 AM
#1. 4 to 6 bottles per week with Eileen.
#2. Good enough to make me dangerous. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]
#3. I enjoy most beers, ales, porters etc.
and sometimes dark rum with a cigar.
Wine is my #1, solid 9, passion alcohol
- hotwine - 03-29-2003 09:33 AM
- Half a bottle to a bottle per night.
- Modest - always learning.
- Beer or margaritas with non-wine-drinking company; maybe a wee tad of single malt on a cold winter evening. For the remaining 99.99% of my life, I prefer wine.
- stevebody - 03-29-2003 11:02 AM
1. 3-4 bottles per week, with at least one being something I've never tried before and one being a really nice bottle, price no object; usually a Sean Thackery Pleiades or a Barolo or Gigondas.
2. The more I learn the more I realize there is I don't know; to be perfectly honest, probably average.
3. For several years, back east, I was a beer columnist for several newspapers, including the Charlotte Observer and the Greensboro News & Record, so I probably know more about beer than wine but hardly drink beer at all anymore. Wine is just a lot more interesting, even given that I live here in Microbrew Heaven. I usually will try any beer I haven't sampled before but I rarely find those, now. I also LOVE single-malt Scotch but rarely drink that at all. Bowmore - just the plain, unadorned stuff - is my favorite...love those Islays! I'd love to know more about Scotch but, even though I can afford to drink them, now, I'm too damned cheap to do it. Every time I think about popping $120 for a bottle of great Scotch, I think that I could have 3-4 really nice wines for that. Wine is just really groovy...
- Georgie - 03-29-2003 11:04 AM
From a true novice:
#1 A glass of port every night. I am hooked. As for a regular bottle of wine, just once a week on the weekends when I have someone to share it with. (I wonder if there's a minimum consumption requirement to be allowed on this board. I could get thrown off for not drinking enough!
#2 True ignoramus status
#3. Love gin and tonics in the summer. Margueritas anytime!
[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 03-29-2003).]
- Kcwhippet - 03-29-2003 11:46 AM
1. Judy and I together - 7+ - more when we entertain, which is fairly frequently.
2. Learned a bit over the past thirty eight years (in four months it will be thirty nine years)in wine and food. Need to have a decent knowledge base working in a wine shop. What I don't know, I've figured out how to find easily.
3. Wine is a 10, followed by single malt scotch, then beer - mostly dark microbrews.
[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 03-29-2003).]
- Nguigmi - 03-29-2003 05:20 PM
1: about 7 a week, with a friend. /hic
2: I'm a beginner when it comes to most aspects of wine, but trying to learn quickly!
3: Nowadays its mostly wine, but I like beer (stouts these days), gin & tonics, margueritas, Sturm whenever I go back home to Austria and its in season [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]
- randery - 03-29-2003 05:41 PM
1) 3-4 bottles per week w/ significant other and friends.
3) Wine, a good beer occasionally and once in a great while two fingers of Jack Daniels, neat. I enjoy wine the most, the others,definite 9s.
Good luck with your survey, culi.
- winoweenie - 03-29-2003 05:51 PM
wasn't going to get into this but on a whim I'll post my numbers. When I'm in dead stroke ( 2 months on, 2 to 4 weeks sabbatical)the numbers look thusly
1) 12-14 per week
2) Okie-Dokie on reds. SWs' Nada
3) Occassional beer in the dead of summer and occassional Single Malt in the winter.
Wine is my absolute, undying, unmitigated passion. WW
- tandkvd - 03-30-2003 12:22 PM
Well Culinart I never did answer your question alltogether. So here goes:
1: 2-3 per week. Less this week, my wife was with me picking out wine last time. She talked me into getting some SW's. I just can't find one I like much at all. My daughter had given me a bottle of Domaine De Montrabech 2001, someone had given her. It must have been sitting in a hot kitchen, because it had turned to vinager.
2: Novice at best.
3: Red Wine with food or sipping at night - 10
Beer when i'm working outside or golfing - 8
Margaritas with apetisers and chips &
salsa - 6
Dan, you may want to keep your windows closed tomorrow. We can realy get into the Braves games!
- joeyz6 - 03-30-2003 02:30 PM
1: About three bottles per week.
2: Slightly past novice status, although my knowledge is almost exclusively in French and Californian wines.
3: Startlingly similar to what Dananne responded way up in the second post; just subtract the margueritas and add Scotch.
- Glass_A_Day - 03-30-2003 02:41 PM
2) Not enough, but working on it.
3) Micro brews hit the spot from time to time. Also drinking a lot of Magic Hat. That's why #1 is 6-7.
- winedope1 - 03-30-2003 04:42 PM
1-2 per week
wine is # 1. also occasionally drink margaritas or martinis (real ones) when appropriate.
- quijote - 03-31-2003 12:03 AM
1. I usually drink somewhere around 3 to 4 bottles per week. During holidays and summers, when I'm with an out-of-town friend of mine, the number is around 5 to 7 shared bottles.
2. I'm definitely a novice, and I'm enjoying the excitement of learning new (and yet very basic) things about wine.
3. I've kind of plunged into the wine thing pretty heavily, so wine has been getting a 9 or 10 on my beverage-attention scale. However, I also like Scotch (it seems many others here do, too). I like aperitifs and liqueurs on occasion, such as Strega and Limoncello. On occasion I'll also drink a beer or some kind of cocktail (whisky sour), but as far as alcoholic bevs go, it's mostly wine and a touch of Scotch. In the non-alcoholic realm, I really like coffee; it's almost as much fun, intellectual challenge, and sensory experience as wine.
[This message has been edited by quijote (edited 03-30-2003).]
[This message has been edited by quijote (edited 03-30-2003).]
- ShortWiner - 03-31-2003 09:58 AM
1. Around 4 bottles with my wife, though we have friends over quite often and then of course it's more.
2. I'd rate myself at the upper tier of novice. Note that some of the more modest answers you've received on this question have been downright mendacious. There's a lot of wine knowledge on this board. (Best part about it, though, is that you don't just get one person's opinion, as you would at a shop or tasting--you get a whole picture of the wine world).
3. Wine is a total 10, leaving others in the dust. Though I do like scotch, beer, etc, and I'm sure there's a lot to be said for them, I've pledged my allegiance to wine.
[This message has been edited by ShortWiner (edited 03-31-2003).]