WineBoard
Virginia Wines? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Virginia Wines? (/thread-16077.html)

- lbm62 - 04-09-2007

I've recently discovered how many wineries there are in Virginia. I was just wondering if anyone has had any of these wines and are any of them actually any good? I would be interested in any opinions on this and maybe some suggestions of ones I should try.

- Innkeeper - 04-09-2007

Hi IBM62, and welcome to the Wine Board. We are big fans of Horton Norton, but there are many other fine wines, that I'm sure others will suggest.

- wondersofwine - 04-09-2007

My experience is mostly with Horton wines, Barboursville wines (both near Charlottesville, VA) and Ingleside Vineyards which makes wines under Ingleside and Chesapeake Wine Company labels (located in Virginia's Northern Neck near Potomac Bridge crossing over to La Plata and Waldorf, MD).
I've had some nice Virginia Viognier and a wine from a grape variety not too common in the USA--the Rkatsiteli. This is a grape grown in Russia and also in the Finger Lakes, New York area. Ingleside had some decent white wine blends such as Chardonnay and Viognier and one with two vitis vinifera grapes (Chardonnay and Muscat) and two hybrid grapes (Seyval Blanc and Vidal Blanc). I haven't been as impressed with the red wines.

- neo-oeno - 04-09-2007

If you're in the Charlottesville area you are in luck as many of the best vineyards are nearby. I definitely agree with Barboursville and Horton, Veritas is very nice, King Family not only has good wine, but also a fantastic view of the Blue Ridge and polo on weekends in the spring and summer. Kluge and Jefferson have several good offerings and Oakencroft is a great vineyard to go for a tasting, grabbing a bottle you like and having a picnic by their pond. Have fun!

- lbm62 - 04-10-2007

Wow, thanks for the responses. I guess I'll have to try something from Horton. I didn't think there was anything special about VA wines. I've never heard anyone talk about them until recently. What exactly is it about Horton wines that's so good? I mean they're made in Virginia. When you think about the places more popular wines come from it's just hard to believe good wine is made here. And I really enjoy red wines, so have any of you tried any that are good that come from VA?

- Innkeeper - 04-10-2007

Norton and Chambourcin are both excellent hybrid red grown throughout Virginia. In addition there are European (vinifera) reds such as Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc grown and bottled as a single variety or blended with other grapes. Just about every winery will have a selection of house blends. Be careful with these particularly if you like dry wines, because they can range over the sweetness spectrum.

- wondersofwine - 04-11-2007

Well, I don't think Virginia wines are giving France, Italy and Spain any real competition but some are decent. Horton takes pride in its Viognier and produces some 40 wines (some probably more experimental than commercial). They have a dry Syrah and dry Norton (native grape). They also make various red blends that you might enjoy such as one combining grapes associated with France and Portugal and another with Portuguese and Spanish grapes.

- TLARGE - 04-18-2007

Barboursville makes a pretty good Cabernet Franc and Chrysalis Vineyards makes one of the best Viognier's in all the United States. It is very American with a ton of oak, but awesome. For the most part Virginia is NOT red wine country.

- lbm62 - 04-18-2007

Thanks a lot for the responses. You've all been really helpful!