WineBoard
Reisling Suggestions - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: For the Novice (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Reisling Suggestions (/thread-16045.html)

- lcwatewine - 03-22-2006

I've been reading about Reislings and would like some suggestions from you guys on a good one for under $15. Since I'm still developing my tastes I don't want to spend more than that on a bottle right now. I don't really like sweet wines, as a comparison, I tried the Beringer White Merlot and couldn't even finish a full glass. Still, I'd like to try a white wine that's somwhat sweet but not too sweet. So, less sweet than the white merlot but not as tart as a sauvignon blanc. Are there any Reislings you think might fit this description or should I try a different varietal? Thanks.

- Innkeeper - 03-22-2006

Don't know where you live, but they make some nice Rieslings in the Finger Lakes Region of New York, and in Michigan. If you can't get to those or if you can, look for the word "Dry" on American Rieslings. Those from Alsace and Australia are dry. For Germans get a Kabinett (slightly off dry) or one that says "Troken" on the bottle.

- wondersofwine - 03-22-2006

Some under $20 German Rieslings are Leitz Dragon Stone (Rheingau region), Lingenfelder Bird Label (Rheinpfalz region), Gunderloch Jean Baptiste (Rheinhessen region). In most years a German Riesling at the qBa or Kabinett level will not be noticeably sweet (2003 was a very hot summer in Europe so those wines may be sweeter than the label would indicate.)

- lcwatewine - 03-22-2006

I purchased a Schmitt Sohne 2004 Kabinett Riesling. Anyone ever heard of it or tried it? It was in the German wine sections of Liquor Barn and it was $9.

- Innkeeper - 03-22-2006

Try it and see if you like it. Cool it down to around 55 degrees F.

- robr - 03-22-2006

Schmitt Sohn is ok, but Dr. Loosen is better, if you can get it.

- lcwatewine - 03-23-2006

They did have Dr. Loosen there but it was $17 and I wanted to try a cheaper one since I've never tried this varietal before. Also the Dr. Loosen was screwcap. I thought screwcap was for cheap bad wines....like BoonesFarm or something. But then when looking for two other Merlots that scored high on winespectator.com I found that they were screwtop as well. I went ahead and bought them. They were by Houge and Dog House. They were inexpensive but scored decently.

Actually, I'm not sure if I should've done this but I ended up buying 9 bottles of wine for around $100. All cheap but most scored high so I figured I'd try them. A couple were impluse purchases that looked interesting like a Zinfandal/Cab/Merlot blend (all of which I like) and an Argentine Table wine and a 2001 Argentine Melbec. I also picked up a bottle of Viognier, just to try it. Two of them were half bottles. One was a 2001 White Rhone from France for $7 and another was a 2001 Pinot Noir by Au Bon Climat. It was $17 for a half bottle but I figured I'd get since I want to try a good PN and see if I like it better than others I've tried. I came home and found that it scored an 88 so that's good. I also bought a wine rack and a decanter. So I am on my way to my own little wine collection. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- Innkeeper - 03-23-2006

Sounds great. Don't worry about screwtops. They are the closure of the future; only waiting to see how some aging wines handle them. The problem with corks is that as many as ten percent of them are tainted, giving that wet newspaper smell to the wine.

- TheEngineer - 03-23-2006

I agree with Dr Loosen as their Screwcap bottling is their cheapest (?) and rather nice (good acidity). anoterh good find is the August Kessler "R" bottling which should be around $10 to $11 a bottle and their estate bottle which should be around $11-$14 a bottle. Toni Jost is another good supplier and his stuff should be around the $15-$18 range as well.

'03 was a hot year so many of the rieslings will be sweeter though at the QBA level, they will not be too sweet. In any other year, look for a Riesling Kabinett as well. Look for the '02 and '04 and definitley grab an '01 if you see any.

- newtoowine - 03-23-2006

Coveys run,Hogue and Chateau St. Michelle all make decent rieslings under $10 that are not too sweet.

- lcwatewine - 03-23-2006

I went out to dinner with a friend and had a glass of Reisling. It was a very sweet one. Yuck!! I should've known when it had the word "honey" in the taste description. I think Columbia was the winery. If I never experienced a "cloying" (sp?)wine before I sure did tonight. It tasted like simple syrup. UUgghh! It was really bad. Hopefully the bottle I got is not as sweet. It's weird how I love my desserts but can't stand a sweet wine.

- barnesy - 03-23-2006

My guess is that you've just not had a good dessert wine yet. The problem with most american riesling is the lack of balancing acidity. This is also true of lower end dessert wines. The balancing acidity helps make the sweetness of dessert wines less cloying and more enjoyable. I think you will enjoy a dry German riesling of the Kabinett level. Wonderful hot weather wines, bracing and refreshing acidity.

Barnesy

- brenda2 - 04-09-2006

Hi, there is a great Riesling we drink, by Sawmill Creek - Riesling Barrel Select, it's an Ontario Canada wine. It's characteristes are ligt, off-dry, hints of honey, ripe peaches, and of course must be served chilled. It's great as I'm not found of white wine myself, I don't like the apple taste that most white wines have.

- Innkeeper - 04-09-2006

I've had the Sawmill Creek when up there, but haven't seen it south of the border. As a matter of fact other than Innskillen and Mission Hills, haven't seen much Canadian Wine in the U.S. of A! Maybe someday.

- TheEngineer - 04-09-2006

One of my favourite Canadian Rieslings is from Cave Springs. It is generally easy to find too. If you want to try somethin with a bit more umph, take a look for this next time you are in an LCBO.

- Thomas - 04-09-2006

I agree that Cave Springs is among the best Ontario Riesling producers.